Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 06-11-2006, 04:38 AM
sgecko

Default Data Center mashup

Hey -- does anyone know of a mashup for Data Center locations? I love Google maps and would love to see a database of colo sites or data center sites on a map.
Just curious if anyone knows of such a site that does this. If not I may take it on myself.

-Sgecko
Old 06-13-2006, 06:37 PM
packeteer

On a map or in some logical format in a report?

telegeography I would say...but I wanted to do one on a global scale for every country worldwide.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 AM
sgecko

I was thinking on a Google map where you would just have pushpins for the locations.

I think I am just going to do my own since I probably want to manipulate which Data Centers are displayed. Now if only I could access a database like Telegeography without paying so much for it!

I would love to take all of the search functions on the Telegeography colo database and put them into google map layers. My biggest road block is just putting in the time to make the mashup...and then of course the data base, which will probably just be my own version that I employ an intern to help me populate.
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgecko
I would love to take all of the search functions on the Telegeography colo database and put them into google map layers. My biggest road block is just putting in the time to make the mashup...and then of course the data base, which will probably just be my own version that I employ an intern to help me populate.
That's TeleGeography's value proposition. Their research isn't cheap. But when you calculate the total hours of research and programming involved, and then multiply that by your hourly rate, that's a big number as well. A lot of folks will do that and find it easier to buy the data and have someone else do the work. Tier 1 has facility locater products in an online format, but that's pricey as well. Given what companies are spending on data centers these days, that's a drop in the bucket.

If you decide to do this, keep us posted on your progress.
News and analysis for data center professionals
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 PM

its not a map, but www.chicagocolo.net at least lists the Chi-Town players. seems like a work in progress, but its something.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:13 PM
sgecko

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

Rich -- I am a big fan of your site/blog. So much so I even started my own Data Center blog. I am by no means a reporter....just a techie that likes to keep his managers informed of things going on in the industry. Check it out at http://datacenterlinks.blogspot.com/

I think i am going to have some interns make a database of colo sites that I want to track and plot on a map and then I'll do my Google map integration.

-John