Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 07-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Innovative2001

Default Different routing protocol

Hello,

I am new in router world! Can I use different routing protocol on two interconnected router?

In more details. I have one configured router for my one network and other configured router for other network and both the routers are connected with each other. Now can in this case can I use different routing protocol for both the router.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Your routers must speak the same language to communicate routes to eachother.

If your routers are connected you are free to choose any routing protocol supported by both pieces of equipment. Both dynamic and static routing are an option, and each dynamic protocol has different charactoristics advantagous to different network implimentations and network topologies.

For simple setups like yours, static routes might be the best option. they are a low in complexity solution for small setups without the hassle of learning the ins and outs of the dynamic routing world.

If you absolutely must have dynamic routing, or you plan to rapidly scale your network, I would suggest investigating OSPF as a solution. Most equipment supports it and it provides numerous advantages over routing protocols with slower convergence time.

Routing policy tends to be a personal preference issue, and the person responsible for configuring and troubleshooting it must be comfortable with the operation of the protocol selected. IP routing is a huge world these days. Good luck with your setup.