Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 08-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Paul Heckmann

Arrow Looking to Move Our Business to VoIP

Good afternoon,

I am looking at the possiblity of moving our company from a traditional phone system fully over to VoIP. We've got about 45 people right now using about 110,000 minutes per month and are growing out of our Samsung Prostar.

While I have tons of general info about VoIP, what I would like to know is the practical, day to day pros and cons. What are the main issues; volume, outages, things like that. I'm also the IT guy, so any tech issues such as lost packets, etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 PM
geekster

Pual,

VOIP can deffinatly save you a lot of money with the amount of minutes you are using.

If you are in control of the system and have a really reliable internet connection, you can do cool things like least cost routing and buy termination from serveral providers.

Depending on what type of phone you move to there is always a bit of a learning curve for people to get use to the new functionality of most VOIP systems.

The thing I have found most common to be a complaint is that voice quallity is so good, people think something is wrong. They are used to backround noise of the tradditional phone system.

Most residential VOIP providers add backround noise to make it sound more traditional, but I think its a waste of time to do this.

Would you be looking to deploy this system yourself or purchsed a managed soltuion from a solution provider.

What type of internet connectivity do you have at your office.

Regards,
-S
Old 08-12-2005, 07:05 PM
FreedomFireCom

Lightbulb

Paul,

With your call load you should definitely realize a significant cost savings.

For some practical comments:

- Be aware of any 911/E911 limitations with a loss of power. Have a contingency in place in this event.

- Know your bandwidth capabilities. Make sure to track how many simultaneous phone calls your broadband connection can handle. One general rule to use is that each call will use about 100 kilobits of bandwidth. Therefore, for example if you have 1.5 megabits of upstream bandwidth, you'll be able to place at most 15 phone calls with no other Internet traffic. This VoIP Bandwidth Calculator will help you work through all of that: http://www.packetizer.com/voip/diagn.../bandcalc.html

- Get a static IP from your ISP. Having a static address is a necessity for such tasks as peering two offices together for free phone calls, or having remote extensions for offsite employees.

- Investigate Quality of Service (QoS). You want your router to have the ability to prioritize certain types of traffic (like phone calls) over other traffic (like big downloads). Make sure routers can perform QoS, and be prepared to configure it to prioritize VoIP traffic.

Just a few ideas to think about.

God Bless,
Michael
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Paul Heckmann

Thanks a lot for all your input.

We just had a demonstration in the office with the VoIP program. It's very impressive.

Reignmaker has come up with a nice bid on the program, which I'm comparing with some others right now. Looks like we'll be able to save quite a bit of money going with one of them.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Paul Heckmann

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekster
Pual,

Would you be looking to deploy this system yourself or purchsed a managed soltuion from a solution provider.

What type of internet connectivity do you have at your office.

Regards,
-S
We're currently using CBeyond for our bandwidth. I think we're at 3 mgs right now. According to your formula, that should handle what we need.

As for your other queston, I think we will have some form of orignal deployment, then I will handle the day to day operation.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:21 AM
veezcom

Default solution

Dear Sir,

we can offer you a solution that will allow you to save more than your current rate, and based on your volume we can offer you better rate than vonage,contact at sales@veezcom.nl for further info.
regards,
http://www.veezcom.com
Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM
ipolex

Dear sir,
if u need VoIP related equipments.Please feel free to contact me : lenore@ipolex.com
or MSN: ipolexsales01@hotmail.com

We offer our clients a favorable price and comsiderable service.

Lenore at Ipolex
WWW.ipolex.com
Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Default I suggest you

If you are looking for simple voip solution then you have to trust me.
I have used many in the past but the one I can recommend to others is Voipography with their PBX on the cloud, Your visitors are in direct connection by click2dial, Your dynamic auto attendant in your hand, your whole sale voice termination, and your secured voice telephony , all in one platform, absolutely the best .
You can check them at
www.voipography.com
info@voipography.com
Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 AM

Default I suggest you

If you are looking for simple voip solution then you have to trust me.
I have used many in the past but the one I can recommend to others is Voipography with their PBX on the cloud, Your visitors are in direct connection by click2dial, Your dynamic auto attendant in your hand, your whole sale voice termination, and your secured voice telephony , all in one platform, absolutely the best .
You can check them at
www.voipography.com
info@voipography.com