Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Default gnax.net experience

I'm running a website @hivilocity.net now, but we would like to have backup in different datacenter. We are planning to have it @ gnax. Any comments?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 PM

We had servers with them and had only few occasions we had issues because of the power outage other than that there is no complain. They have great backup bone carriers.
I believe more of them are OC48 and OC192.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Default Been with GNAX for two years

We've had a leased unmanaged server at GNAX for about two years now. When their server works, they're quite good. When their hardware goes wonky they're not very responsive.

They have some great features like letting you buy down the monthly cost. They offer good rates for CPanel licenses. They seem to have wonderful pipes and DoS protection. They offer annual leases and have the confidence in their product to promise to prorate the lease should their service ever prove unacceptable.

Initially it took at least three months to get them to swap out some flaky memory that was crashing the server at least once a week. I suspect they don't have a memory tester (which arguably may not have deteced memory problems). Finally, they put us on another server but refused to clone or transfer the drives -- we had to do a reload and shake down the server again.

However, once over that initial hump, the server has been a trooper handling inhouse sites and transfers smoothly for ove a year -- until last week when it started crashing once a day. The software configuration has been pretty static for the last year so we gave GNAX a "heads up" that hardware failure may be the cause. Unfortunately I got the impression that they didn't want to be bothered until the server was completely dead.

My sense of GNAX is that they do a nice job if you go with a premium server (ours isn't) otherwise you're on your own. It might also be different if you are also in Atlanta and can physically go to the center.

Hope this helps,

Aza D. Oberman