Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Default hot air outlet

it's basic physics that hot air is light and it rises up and the cool air being dense, settles at the base. and it is also efficient practice not to let the two mix in a data center. what i dont get is since the hot air is already rising up, why cant we provide outlets near the ceiling so that the air does not mix? why do we need complicated designs to accomplish this?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Good thinking. Actually, it's quite common to use the space above a dropped ceiling as a return air plenum. Installing actual ductwork is quite a bit more complicated and expensive.

Ken
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 AM

I am new in this field and i not understand your question what you said? Plz tell me more about your question.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM

@ Ken, are you saying that it is quite possible to just provide just an opening in the ceiling near the hot aisle and expect efficient cooling to take place? or is it necessary to feed the hot air back to CRAC?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM

hello honeyclarck,

i mean that in data centers, a lot of power is being consumed to ensure proper cooling. In order to reduce power consumption, a common practice is to keep the cold air and the hot air from mixing. for that a lot of spe############ts develop expensive strategies. my question is why we cant just let the hot air that is anyway rising to the ceiling escape from a small outlet instead of all the complicated designs.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell View Post
@ Ken, are you saying that it is quite possible to just provide just an opening in the ceiling near the hot aisle and expect efficient cooling to take place? or is it necessary to feed the hot air back to CRAC?
Top-fed CRACs are usually equipped with collars to connect them to the ceiling plenum. Return air grilles can be strategically placed above the hot aisles to maximize hot air return. Sometimes the racks are also ducted directly to the ceiling.

Ken
Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Banned

can the heat obtained from the hot aisles be utilized to produce small scale electricity?
it seems like a shame to let all that heat go waste..