Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 PM
dcfremont

Question Level3 vs. XO data center

I am looking at two data centers in Phoenix, AZ, Level3 and XO Communications. Has anyone worked with either of these companies particularly using their managed services? If so, how has the customer service been? Level3 is much more expensive than XO, so I am trying to see if the cost is worth it. My company requires that I look at larger data centers with national and international locations. If anyone has an opinion on these guys please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by dcfremont; 01-08-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
dcfremont

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 PM

I used to work for XO on the East Coast and our data centers weren't managed, per say, like a Level 3 data center. The cost is much cheaper because the inclusions typically aren't there. You really can't go wrong with the Level 3 choice.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
dcfremont

Perfect, this is what I needed to know. XO is much cheaper but I couldn't truly justify the price of Level 3 either, but this helps out. We probably won’t use any managed services but in the future if I do decide to use them I want to be sure I will feel comfortable. The data center we have our equipment in now takes two weeks just to get a port changed on the firewall, it sucks.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:15 AM
mbrennan

Default Re: Level3 vs. XO data center

dcfremont,

365 Main is over in Chandler, AZ. From other articles I've seen, they look pretty good.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a..._virginia.html

Level3's network is nice though. Don't know anything about their "managed" services. We just use them as one of our backbone providers.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Tetraboy

Good thing about Level3's gateway centers, since they are used to run the Level3 network, it's very unlikely they'll ever be shut down. However, they are carrier owned. If you're looking at carrier neutral in AZ, Sterling Network comes to mind. They are in the largest carrier hotel in Phoenix, which was aquired by Digital Realty Trust.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
RS|night

XO is cheaper and the quality is cheaper.
Level3 is more exspensive and the pings reflect it.

Alot of times you can find a good deal with a better network then the more expensive host, but not in this case. Level3 out does XO by far in my book.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 PM
skrausCOX

Default 365 Main

365 Main is the superior data center the only thing it lacks is carriers. I do know Qwest is in there and Cox should be as well. Backhaul to Sterling is best case, I believe Sterling is full.....but a great telco hotel.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Foomster

Not so sure 365 Main is superior. They significantly altered the facility's original design and are copying the design of their San Francisco site, which went splat recently.

DRT now owns the Sterling building and has/did have colo capacity. That's the best place to meet multiple carriers on Phoenix.

I have not seen XO's site. They're a carrier, so I wouldn't exxpect much.

I have been through the Level 3 site. Its an average colo. If you can get into a newer suite in the DRT building for the same price Level 3 quoted, do it and don't look back.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to dougeth

XO and Level 3 really only offer basic colocation. Managed services from a hardware persepctive is typically outside of their scope.

Both Level 3 and XO do offer level 1 remote hands, but they are not going to offer any type of hardware monitoring, replacement, OS patch management, back up services, etc.

This changes drastically if you are seeking management from a network perspective. Both companies can offer leased and managed Point to Point, VPN, MPLS solutions. Let me know if you would like to discuss their differences further.