Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 10-15-2006, 05:00 AM
jaredlutkowski

Default Vericenter

Hi.

I am realitively new to the data center scene. I currently have a few dedicated servers with Rack Space, but have recently begun to look into the COLO scene. I am currently working with Vericenter. There web site is www.vericenter.com. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and if their experience was pleasant or not. Currently, I am very satisfied with them.

Thanks,

Jared
Old 12-24-2006, 08:30 AM
kingradar

Default Bait and Switch at Vericenter

I am currently based out of the Dallas Vericenter facility. Its a very solid facility with good connectivity and infrastructure. When we moved in, we got competitive pricing. If only it had stayed that way.

Over the course of the last year, we've had some problems. The first issue was it took over six weeks for their engineers to delegate reverse DNS to our servers. The second issue involved their security team placing an outbound port 25 (SMTP) block on our IP range without warning. (I run a free e-mail service provider (www.nerdshack.com) that relays 100K messages a day, so this was a serious problem. Note that less than 1% of our outbound messages are spam, but they blocked us anyways.) The final issue involved them moving us from a gigabit to a fast ethernet port. We weren't using the extra capacity, but when they moved us, our router was still configured for gigabit. The result was severe packet loss, and latency issues. Took a couple of weeks for us to notice, isolate, and fix the issue.

Despite all of the problems above, we were happy there. We intended to renew our contract. We figured the problems above had been solved, and there was no reason to justify moving a full cabinet worth of equipment, and the accompanying downtime. Then we got the renewal terms.

After only 1 year, Vericenter decided to literally double our monthly cost without any additional services. Given their rates were already about 20% higher than several alternatives, we are effectively being forced to cough up a lot of cash, or move. Its a very difficult position to be in. Needless to say, we are moving after only one year.

If you have deep pockets, its still a good carrier neutral facility. However, if you have deep pockets there are better facilities out there with better connectivity. Just my two cents.