Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
carpman

Default getting 1/4 rack - what to ask?

Hello, ok about to venture into unknow and get some rack space, what questions should i be asking datacenter?

so far have:

Does you network include ability to deal with DOS attacks?

Do you handle the routing?

cheers
Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
argonblue

The bigger issue is not always from the network but what happens inside the cabinet. As a reseller of space and bandwidth, my biggest problem is always the shared cabinet. They generate more complaint than the full cabinet and usually the complaints are as follow:

- Draining too much of their share of power.
Plugging in redundant power supply on the same cirucuit.

- Mounting equipment improperly
Not bolting down the equipment
Stacking stuff on top of other people property.

- Creative stacking to maximize space. We once had a client that stacked 24 desktop computer in 1/3 of rack and temp inside the cabinet was above 90 degree and needless to say, they blew out the circuit and everyone else shared computer.

- Cable management

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SuperRacks Send a message via AIM to SuperRacks Send a message via MSN to SuperRacks Send a message via Yahoo to SuperRacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonblue
. - Creative stacking to maximize space. We once had a client that stacked 24 desktop computer in 1/3 of rack and temp inside the cabinet was above 90 degree and needless to say, they blew out the circuit and everyone else shared computer.

Just my 2 cents.

To be honest, we do allow stacking of servers, BUT only with the equipment of those who have chosen to stack. If someone comes with a server with sliders, no stacking is allowed and it doesn't happen. If someone wants to spare a couple of bucks and places the server on a shelf, he should know that the shelf is also used by others.

It works, just takes some extra attention.

In a 1/4 rack you should get routed traffic. So you don't have to do that yourself. What sometimes irritates me, is how people leave the serverroom. Paper, cardboard, cooling paste on the ground and on the tables....! I don't get it that you have to ask them to remove it.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:55 AM

If the cabinet has solid front panel (cool air is coming up from the floor), then it matters who your neighbors are. Even with perforated front panel and front->back ventilation, it will be hotter in the top 1/4 cabinet than in the bottom.

What DoS mitigation methods are you seeing as you shop around?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Karl

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh, but it has to be said (I am aware that this thread was started some time back)

Quote:
- Draining too much of their share of power.
Plugging in redundant power supply on the same cirucuit.
Then limit the power they can draw,

Quote:
- Mounting equipment improperly
Not bolting down the equipment
Stacking stuff on top of other people property.
Why are you letting people have presumably unsupervised access to a shared rack?

Quote:
- Creative stacking to maximize space. We once had a client that stacked 24 desktop computer in 1/3 of rack and temp inside the cabinet was above 90 degree and needless to say, they blew out the circuit and everyone else shared computer.
Then put them on their own breaker, it's hardly rocket science I'm afraid.

Quote:
- Cable management
Shouldn't be an issue unless you're letting them have 1/4 of a rack in a shared rack rather than a properly designed segemented rack.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 AM
tork311

You questions should be redundant power and heat disapation. Most data centers only allow 40-50 amps per cabinet. For network how many carriers do they have? Who the carriers are? SLA for latency? Are they using BGP? Flow Control? You probably won't get 24x7 access, how much for remote hands? When will you be able to access?
Go with a minimal solution and get a locking cabinet when practical.