Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Post Use of mobile devices on the computerfloor

Hi,
i am doing a study of the use of mobile devices eg. mobile phones, walky talkies on the computerfloor especially around mission critical machines.
I can recall that there was a study of phones in hospital. I can't even find that one!

I am looking for a test report or document that state usage is allowed or not.

I have tried the local wireless suppliers, but no luck. Can someone help me or point me in the correct direction.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 11:26 AM

No suggestion of any kind or please start a discussion with me. wether it's allowed or not..
Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM

We use cell phones, two way, and other radio devices in and around critical equipment with no issue.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Administrator

I think there was a thread on this awhile back, but I can't seem to find it . First, I don't know of any studies that summarize industry practices -- sorry. Second, site policies vary widely, but many enterprises prohibit visitors from bringing these devices into their data centers, mostly because they don't want their sites photographed candidly. On the other hand, it would seem useful for support personnel to be able to communicate with others outside the data center for a variety of reasons, so widespread bans on staff phones and other mobile devices seems unlikely. Finally, there is a possibility that walkie-talkies and other high-output RF devices could set off some types of fire suppression systems if proper shielding is not in place, so uniform prohibition of these devices for visitors and employees does exist.

Ken
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Thanks KenB. I know that the rules vary regarding mobile phone use.
Especially regarding the cadid photography prevention.
How to control such a thing is another discussion.
Do you conviscate during the visit and return afterwards. frisking etc. etc.

on of the reason i posted is because of a supplier of ours. They have a clause within their contract. That any malfunction caused by mobile devices, will not fall under warrantee? But they can't provide me with a decent test report.
It's like a microwave manual states < don't use it to dry of the cat or your wet clothes.

You even state, ther is a possibilty that.
a switched on phone in flight may cause. (ok this one seemed plausible mythbusters episode)

So to continue the quest. How do other Data centers cope with this issue?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM

I think they'll just go on with the rules. They're just cautious to prevent any damage that might have

been cause by mobile phones. Sometimes, it's better that way to prevent those unexpected catastrophies. (: