Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 07-27-2005, 09:09 AM
MadroosterTony

Default Can any DC Match This?

We are looking to add a second DC, but have been very spoiled by our current DC.

First let me say once more, we are looking to add a second DC, not move from our current one, just looking to add some flexibility in our network.

We have been with several datacenters over the years: ThePlanet, EV1, Gnax, LayeredTech, and Others, but none compete with the service we presently are getting.

1. All support tickets are responded to in less then 10 minutes. Not always resolved in that time, but we atleast know someone is working on the issue. Most responses come in less then 5, but 10 minutes has been the longest. We are not talking automated responses, but a real response, from a real person

2. When we first went with the datacenter, they happen to assign us an IP block that was blacklisted, once we realized it, made one phone call, and was assigned an entire new block of IPs, never seen by the net before

3. They have "set aside" a block of IPs for us. We are allowed to assign these as needed. We do not have to notify them at all, we arent even charged for them. This is all based on the fact that we use them with restrant. (name servers, ssl certs, etc).

4. They provide free server monitoring in real time, and will login if provide access to help search for the problem. This is done at no extra charge. They also call the admins if they problem is apparent, or appears to be major.

5. They allow to add servers one at time, at full rack pricing. Basically full rack price / 42U = $price to add 1 server

6. They custom build servers to our specs at cost. When I say at cost, they do not make a dime on them. i.e. (P4 3.2 HT, 2 GB of Ram, 250 GB Primary Drive, 120 GB Seconday drive - $949). And they use nothing but quality components. Asus Motherboards, WD and IBM Hard Drives, etc..

Ok Downsides (LOL):

1. They only use Level3. Not that we have ever been down, and AOL and Yahoo are in the same DC, so we arent that worried. LOL

2. Side effect of downside #1 - BW isnt cheap. We pay about 1.5x what we would everywhere else, but we feel all the positives above out weigh this option.

Does anyone have this kind of service at any DC they are with???
Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM
zhuhair

Who is providing you this service.. I think you never mentioned their name
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 PM
MadroosterTony

I did not mention what datacenter on purpose. Didnt want this thread to be about my current DC, but what other DCs are doing and not doing.

Like I have said we have been with most of the other big players, and because we stress so much on service as a hosting company, we have to have a datacenter that meets our service needs.

We have an unwritten rule to reply to all support tickets in 15 mins, so it helps when our DC has a similar response time. Not that we need the DC to answer that many tickets, we handle the few we get on our own, but when you need the DC, you need them.

The other big issue is, we arent wasting $$$ on an empty rack. So many other DCs want you to pay for 1/2 the rack, or 1/3 of the rack, etc. But lets say you fill a rack, and gotta buy a new one, just to add a new dedicate client, or shared box. Now I am paying for 1/2 of a rack, with one server in it?? Yeah that makes alot of sense. Granted with growth it doesnt sit with 1 server in it too long, but it could only have 2-3 in it over a few months, wasted $$$...
Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 PM
dcjones

Hi,

Have you ever worked with fastservers.net?. They provide very good services with excellent support. You might have to try with them.

From your previous experience who was the best?, Can you please rank it?. It might help others to choose a good datacenter.

Thanks
JOnes
Old 08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
MadroosterTony

While I love the fast server guys, we have moved well beyond leasing servers. We purchase all our servers, we perfer purchasing them from the datacenter, because they carry the same warranty, and they are onsite to handle the problems first hand. Its not that our DC wouldnt look and replace parts if the need arise, but since they are custom building these servers, they keep parts in stock for what they have built, and replacement would be quick vs. getting into a box, and realizing they didnt have the part used in stock.

While we havent had a problem yet, its always in the back of our mind, because we are dealing with electronics.

I must say that all the DCs we have been with just plain suck in customer service and tech support. The quickest ticket response time of any of them have been 5+ hours, most have been 24+ hours. In our industry that is just unacceptable.

Our tickets are simple lil problems that we can solve ourself. They are either the occansional need hard reboot, or they network problems. At one of the DCs, we had an IP routing problem on their end, it was 21 hours before they responded, and 4 hours later before it was fixed. The only other support ticket we submit is OS reloads, as we need these as dedicated clients do not work out (Spamming, warez, etc found multiple times). So we dont use support that often, but when we do, we want to know its there. :-)

If anyone wants to know what DC we are out, PM and I will disclose there. But i just wanted to get a feel if anyone has found a DC that they really love as we have.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Yes, DatacenterTalk.com and webhostingchat.com are hosting on fastservers.net and never had problem. There are great guys to help us out.

Are you looking datacenter in any specic location?

Thanks
David.k
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM
MadroosterTony

Our current datacenter is in the SW, so just pure geograhy would make lean toward the east coast, but features and such are most important.

As stated before, we are not looking to replace our current DC, just add to our mix. We are not looking for the cheapest, we do not mind paying premiums, if they service and support are there. Please stop PMing me, telling me how cheap your BW is etc, if you can not provide the service.

Here is a good test I have done with a few DCs, submit a ticket saying your server is down, see how long it takes to get a response. You might be surprized. I had one take 6 days to finally respond back, asking for more information or account number. LOL
Old 08-07-2005, 03:43 AM
brownm521

this sounds like DataReturn.... i would be surprised if it wasn't
Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 AM
MadroosterTony

Nope its not DataReturn. Its a DC most people havent heard of in many years, because of their pull back from a certian industry. :-)
Old 08-08-2005, 05:43 PM

Are you looking for datacenters in the US only or is Europe an option for you as well?