Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 09-13-2015, 02:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to truedon
Default Do I need to geo-locate services?

I have alot of american traffic during their peak and then it dies down to hardly any, but during this peak my euro and asia traffic cannot get a good service because of the sheer amount of requests from america. Someone said I should look into geo-location? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any answers..
Old 09-13-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truedon View Post
I have alot of american traffic during their peak and then it dies down to hardly any, but during this peak my euro and asia traffic cannot get a good service because of the sheer amount of requests from america. Someone said I should look into geo-location? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any answers..
It would be a good idea to run a secondary server in the states, that has a Varnish installed on it to act as a reverse cache proxy. This way you can cache the static files and serve them to your users based on geolocation.

But be careful don't open a secondary entrance to your site without blocking robots because google will penalize on that.

Varnish web: https://www.varnish-cache.org/
Old 09-13-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGier View Post
It would be a good idea to run a secondary server in the states, that has a Varnish installed on it to act as a reverse cache proxy. This way you can cache the static files and serve them to your users based on geolocation.

I've used Varnish alot and it works great for reducing load on static files and images a like. Docs are here - https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/trunk/tutorial/
Old 09-13-2015, 12:34 PM

I have a similar question, if I have customers from australia and some from india where would it be best to put a server. Currently I am in America and my friend said that is just plain crazy. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoIT View Post
I have a similar question, if I have customers from australia and some from india where would it be best to put a server. Currently I am in America and my friend said that is just plain crazy. Thanks.
yes you should move it to Australia and India in my opinon as australia is it's own continent and so far down from India. There is not so many backbones connecting these areas through south east asia.

You could host in Singapore in the middle if you wish also.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGier View Post

But be careful don't open a secondary entrance to your site without blocking robots because google will penalize on that.

Thanks Richard I will look into Varnish then. Very helpful! I think I will host it in LA then and see how we get on! Thanks again for the pointers

Tags
geo-locate, traffic