Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 AM

Default Help! Average cost to lease space?

Hi, I'm having a big problem. I'm trying to launch a new web service. I expect growth similar to something like Reddit or Digg (but a little less). In able to do this, I was looking into leasing some server space with a service like Amazon's cloud servers. The problem is, almost no one posts pricing and I'm so new to server configuration that what information is there I don't understand at all. Could someone give me an idea of how much something like this will run? I've estimated about 500,000 users after 1 year. Not all of those users will be active, but the ones that are will visit daily. Absolutely any estimation would be very appreciated as I can't find any information and am going nuts trying to get at least a number that's a possibility. I don't need it to be overly accurate - just something to give me a range or a general understanding of how much this is going to cost.

Thanks so much!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Hello,

It really is difficult to say without more specific requirements; although I think you are correct in assuming you will need a cloud solution. Great thing about clouds, is that they are scalable. You pay for what you use. You could like start out with a small private OnApp solution for around $1100/month. But again, this is a guess - not knowing any specifics on your requirements.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedicatedNow View Post
Hello,

It really is difficult to say without more specific requirements; although I think you are correct in assuming you will need a cloud solution. Great thing about clouds, is that they are scalable. You pay for what you use. You could like start out with a small private OnApp solution for around $1100/month. But again, this is a guess - not knowing any specifics on your requirements.
To quote something like this, you would have to talk to a large hosting provider to get a bunch of dedicated servers together. I've seen some options for $800-$2,000 per month but you'd have to run a bunch of numbers including users per day, users per hour, users per minute, server sizes, site size, load times, etc to give a proper quote.