Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 07-12-2008, 06:43 PM

Default Data Center Planning

How to plan the growth of a datacenter? If you are opening a new datacenter then how should you plan the growth of the datacenter so as keep a proper tabs on the investment costs and the revenues?
Should the size of datacenter be small initially and then grow or should it be big initially and then promoted?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 PM

I think planning for growth in a data center, like many things in a data center, is specific to what equipment you are housing.

A co-location data center would have a majority of standard equipment racks.
My data center has about 100 racks of standard equipment, but then I have 7 mainframe (some dual frames), many SAN silos, free-standing DASD directors, and other supporting infrastructure that all have service clearances.

Though you need to get some idea from management on their 5-year outlook...what do they see the company doing and how will the technology branch get there. With that information, you can then oversize the data center by 1/4 to 1/3. People may scoff at empty floorspace, but the evolution of large pieces of infrastructure dictates that you need some slush floorspace for equipment to ebb & flow. you may need emergency floorspace for whatever reason. You may need open space to start out high-density racks until you can get proper cooling infrastructure in place.

Also, have a rough 5 year plan. As new technologies come into the picture, add them in early.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks a lot Cernst, Yea the concept of emergency floor area is great one, I had almost forgotten about this.