Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 10-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Davin

Default DNSBL and what do you do about it?

We're a general purpose Internet DC so we tend to get all elements of society signing up for our services. We're much better at filtering out the garbage before it gets to us but occasionally a spammer gets through.

What sorts of software are other DC's using to track spam incidents and ensure they are responded to? Is there any _good_ out-of-the-box type stuff or is everything home brewed?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:39 PM
xtremebandwidth

Your looking for a solution to stop spam from being sent out of your network? Or coming into your network?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 PM
KarlZimmer

Best way I've found is generally wait until you get a SPAM complain and then take action. As long as you react right away things should be fine. Software wise I don't really know what you'd want to do. if you start looking at all their packets you then become the one responsible for the data being transfered, from my understanding, so I don't think there would be any benefit in that.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Davin

What I'm looking for is some kind of software that can be used as a pipe on the email server that will categorize the incoming complaints. People send them to abuse@ and it would be nice to be able to say, "we got 15,000 complaints from spam campaing X"

I'm not looking for something that will sniff the network - we have too much traffic for that
Old 10-07-2004, 08:48 PM
miketike

Very intresting. I beleive this has to be done by some manual tools which has to be written. As far as I know there is such a tool availble. I might to do some investigation and let you know. Also I might need this toool too.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-07-2004, 09:50 PM
SQNWK

Not sure if this is what your looking for but check out
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/product...e/overview.htm

Stan