Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 02-05-2005, 01:22 PM
chinchan

Default The size for 45U cabinet

Can you please tell me, what is the size for the 45U, also can we put 45 1U servers?, How much amps needed.

Thank You
Chinchan
Old 02-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Admin

I not sure of the exact dimensions, but in theory you can put in 45 1u servers but thats not neccessarily as practical as it sounds. Also if I am right a standard one has a length of 19" front to back.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:33 PM
wadearnold

Most 1u servers have a power supply that can pull up to 2 Amps. If you have more than one hard drive in the server or dual processor, it is very easy to pull1.5 Amps. If you had 45 1U servers could possibly pull 90Amps. The majority of data centers in the world will not run 80Amps to a closet. If you did pull all 81 Amps, the breaker would pop like running the coffee machine, toaster, and microwave at the same time.

<Removed self promotion >

Hope that this helps!

Last edited by IRCCo Jeff; 02-07-2005 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 AM
little2v

Sizes of of cabinets vary alot. We use a 48U cabinet that has adjustable rails front and back, and measures 40" deep.

We don't pack it with servers, when we do a 1U build out, we try to put a 48 port Cisco switch up top. We also go 6 servers, reboot device, 6 more servers... etc... and in the bottom we use the APC net shelter fan that pulls from the floor and flows the cold air up the front. We typically put 2 rebooters to a 20 amp circuit
Old 02-07-2005, 02:12 AM
IRCCo Jeff

From my experience, 0.75A per server is going to be a decent norm, assuming you have APC's that will sequentially boot the servers in the event that the entire cabinet is powered up at once (eg. in case of a generator/UPS failure).
Old 02-13-2005, 05:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rob T

The majority of cabinets i've ever worked with are at least 26-30" deep - a 19" deep cabinet would be pretty useless, since there aren't many dual CPU servers that are 19" or less.

Generally a 40-45u cabinet is around 7 feet tall and 23 inches wide. We use 42U racks, and the best we've ever done is 38 1U servers in the rack, with 3 shelves and a 48 port 1U switch. Believe me, you probably don't want to pack too much more than that in there!