Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 12-26-2004, 05:05 PM
franko

Default What questions would you ask a new datacenter?

I am not happy with our current datacenter. I would like to ask few questions before getting my new server. What are the questions I should ask the datacenters. I have few things in my mind.

support
network uptime
backbone connection
Old 12-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Bilco105

1. What backbone carriers do you use?
2. Where is your facility located?
3. What power failure backups do you have?

It all depends what your server is going to be for, Allways consult there TOS and AUP as well before signing up. Generally datacentre's add the un-neccessary such as No IRC and eggdrops etc.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Admin

where is your server hosted? I would never host a server with anything other than a reasonably well konwn D/C
Old 12-29-2004, 08:22 PM
bdcsales

Most datacenters offer support. The question I think it's important to ask is "Where does my call go?" A lot of places outsource their tech support which means your call doesn't go to the same place that your servers are located.

When asking about network uptime, ask for copies of reports that back up "99%" uptime claims. Anybody can claim to have uptime!

It looks like you're approaching this the right way. This forum and others, like webhostingchat and hosthideout, are great resources.

Good luck!
Chris Baer
Boston DataCenters
Old 01-13-2005, 10:47 PM
jcsuperb

Hi! Glad to help.

The first thing that pops my mind is: Is your potential hosting provider running their own backbone? - The reason you want to be running your server as close as possible to the Internet backbone is to have the least amount of hops away from the backbones. Therefore, the connection will be faster (optimum). Most Data Centers have several Internet backbone providers, but some use value Internet backbone providers and others utilize the top Internet backbone providers.

Be careful though. It does not matter if your potential hosting provider or Data Center provider utilizes only high-quality Internet backbone providers if they are over-selling the bandwidth. Over-selling bandwidth is very common and many (you'd be surprise how many Data Centers) over-sell their pipes to accommodate more customers. When a Data Center over-sells their pipes you will im################y notice the impact it has on your entire IT solution (server performance). Here is how to avoid this: What percentage of your host's/ISP's bandwidth is being used by the existing demands on their system? Can they give you an average and a peak time percentage figure? Can any guarantees of bandwidth utilization limits be included in your contract with your host? Ideally the bandwidth utilization should be under 30%.

Even though they may have a solid backbone and are using less than 30% (in terms of bandwidth utilization), find out what equipment they use (Network equipment) and how their Network is set up (Cisco Routers? Switches? 100 mbps switches? what Cisco routers - model is being used?). Remember, it is very important to use state-of-the-art equipment to be able to accommodate a growing demand for bandwidth in the 5GigE, 20GigE or 40GigE + range.

As critical as all the things that you are reading, it is pivotal for your decision, to have access to their Service Level Agreement. Can they back up what they offer? Do they have a zero-packet loss SLA? zero down-time?, 24x7x365 NOC support?, redundant Network (fully redundant to avoid a single point of failure), to name a few important questions. The Service Level Agreement has to be at least 99.999% for Network up-time, 100% is ideal of course.

Once you compile the answers for the questions above, there are several questions that are important as well and will help you when reaching a final decision. At the end of the day, it is your business and it is priceless and extremely valuable to you. The more questions you ask, the more prepared you will be and better chances you will have in selecting the best hosting provider in the market place.

-Do they offer 24x7x365 telephone support?
-Do they offer Live Chat support? 24x7x365?
-Do they hire, train and empower their employees (their IT personnel)?
-What kind of IT Certifications do their employees have? Microsoft's? Unix? Cisco? Security Certificates?, etc.
-How long have they been in business?
-What are the main or key clients?
-Do they have case studies and references on their site?
-Do they offer discounts based on a payment in advanced?
-What is the IP policy? support policy? billing policy?
-What is the Acceptable Server Policy?
-What type of hardware do they use? (brand)? this is not as important, as today a server is a server (IBM, HP/Compaq or a white box based on AMD, P4, or Intel technology).
-Find out if they offer Managed Hosting Services. It is important to have the piece of mind, knowing that your server is hosted by IT experts and if you need assistance, it will be provided ASAP.
-Compare the bandwidth options and pricing
-Test their support and call them up and find out if they answer the phone at 11:00pm or later on at night.
-Test Drive the Network (speed, latency, etc)
-Compare quotes and find out the best value for your dollar

Once you have had the chance to go through this exercise, you will be ready to select the best offer and the best solution that best fits your: business, financial and IT needs.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards and good luck!
Jose Castro.

Jose Castro - Channel Manager, Superb Internet Corporation
JCastro@Superb.Net
1-888: 1.888.354.6128 x 208
www.superb.net - www.superbservers.net
Old 01-13-2005, 11:37 PM
kjbaudry

My compliments to the response from Jose Castro. A lot of common sence questions (Common Sence - The least common of the Sences)

My background is facilities; Power Air Conditioning, Lightning protection, Fire Protection, etc. From this prospective it's almost imposible without field surveying the site to know if the power and air that they have in place are up to spec.

One side of me says, it's all lies, lies, and more lies. Unfortunatley reality is that the majority of providers don't understand what they have or how to operate it. Its not just the sales guys that don't know. A lot of time it's the "facility engineers".

When its gets right down to it most data centers aren't any more reliable then a single ups and gen set. Either because that'sthe way it was built, poor maintenance, or lack of understanding on how to manage/operate what they have.

Unfortunately unless you are a big user you can't afford a survey and you probably wont get access to the information needed to make a determination.

I don't know taht there is a good solution to be had.

Ken Baudry
www.kjbaudry.com
Old 01-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Admin

One peice of advise I would give, if the datacenter GUARANTEES a 100% uptime or packet loss I wouldn't touch them because you make a pretty sure bet this is a lie, any datacenter really thinks they can garantee this is definitly not one I would trust.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:00 PM
music

Don't forget to ask them How long they have been in business?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:07 PM
jcsuperb

Hi Jatos,

You are right. I agree with your statement. Hoewever, the objective should be 100% up time. The Service Level Agreement should compensate if there is any downtime. It is impossible to guarantee 100% up time, you have probably been in this industry long enough (like me) to appreciate this. But you still need to work towards 100% up time and any reputable hosting provider would live up to the SLA.

Beso of luck to you!
Jose.

Jose Castro - Channel Manager, Superb Internet Corporation
JCastro@Superb.Net
1-888: 1.888.354.6128 x 208
www.superb.net - www.superbservers.net