Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith
Question Tia-942

Good Afternoon.

I have heard discussion of the new standard that was approved and published in December of 2005. This standard (TIA-942) is supposed to address the standardization of datacenters throughout the design, build, and operations phases. Has anyone come across this standard? If so, is this standard just a bunch of hype or is it actually something worth purchasing and adhering to?

Regards,
Keith
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

I've found TIA/EIA 942 very helpful for data center wiring and cabling. Also, I recommend the ASHRAE 's data center series for energy and cooling issues.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks Ken,
Just out of curiosity, did you find any other parts of this helpful? I understand it goes in to other aspects such as best bonding/grounding principals and physical security. Any feedback on these portions?

Regards,
Keith
Old 08-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Yes, the whole spec is very comprehensive and useful -- a worthwhile investment.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Hey Ken, I just received my copy of TIA-942! I was browsing through some of the topics and noticed that some of the minimums that they quote are quite the extreme minimums. For example, they are indicating that "minimum" hot aisle width be 24 inches. Not only does this probably contradicts code in many areas, there is also a question of feesability and performance.

I realise that these are just bare minimums and all but yeesh! Have you noticed any contradictions to your standard practices in a negative way or other deviations from the "norm"?

Thanks for the feedback on the standard btw. I am definitely glad to have made the investment!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
TIA-942... are indicating that "minimum" hot aisle width be 24 inches. Not only does this probably contradicts code in many areas, there is also a question of feesability and performance.
When the datacenter rents cage space, customers do all sorts of crazy things: aisles that only a skinny person could shimmy through, etc. I've wondered how code interacts with cabinet placement myself (actually, I'd like to build a 24-inch hot aisle myself). Are cabinet rows subject to the same code as hallways (doubtful), or can you clutter it as much as you clutter your basement (doubtful)? What about aisles within a cage? How big does a cage get before you have to impose some sort of order (e.g. adequate egress in case of fire, etc.)?

I'm guessing that all these depend a great deal on your friendly local inspector. I'm just wondering what limitations others have encountered.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Zitibake,
Good Morning.

Regarding your question on Code interractions and a 24" hot aisle, I do not believe many jurisdictions see the aisle way as a hallway unless it is ending at a wall. So from my general understandings (of atleast my local code here) if your cabinets are more than 3ft from the wall, it is not considered a hallway and does not need to honor the 3ft clearance rule.

Another thing is also ADA (Americans with Disability Act) which I believe states that aisle ways need to be around 54" for wheel chair clearances. Not sure how that interacts with datacenter space.

As for hot aisle clearance, there is a discrepincy in the standard in that it describes having the ability to remove a floor tile from anywhere within the hot aisle. The diagram they use shows the hot aisle having 1 floor tile width and additional floor tile width behind the cabinet (since the cabinet does not normally take up 2 full floor tiles). If you go 24" on a hot aisle, you will be hard pressed to be able to easily remove a floor tile safely if at all.

--Keith