Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Default fan-coil weight: wet versus dry?

I'm looking at installing a 10-ton fan-coil unit. I'm wondering how much it will weigh once the coils are filled with glycol/water. I see that many units are advertised with a "net weight" or "installed weight" between 1500 and 2000 lbs (e.g. Liebert System/3 Deluxe). Is that the dry weight, or weight once the coils are filled with water?

Last edited by Zitibake; 06-15-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-15-2006, 04:32 PM

Looking at my Liebert System 3 Manual, there's a shipping weight notation that's available out of the Price book. Likely that weight listed in a manual is installed weight.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:31 PM

I found some specs for Liebert’s 5-ton Challenger cooler, which weighs 550 lbs dry, and the instructions for filling with glycol solution specify a capacity of only 2 gallons. The chilled-water version of the same unit doesn't specify volume, but the schematics look the same. If that's the case, then it doesn't sound like the water adds much weight.