Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Telecom Discussion Forum > Routing Algorithms

Old 08-13-2004, 01:18 AM
stephen

Default BGP multihoming

We are connected to one Service provider , and they are providing us service through Verizon Sonet ring , but they connected us with 2 different COs.

Now we like to do Multihoming , means that if our service providers goes down we should be connected to Internet. So the new service provider is also going to connect the same verizon sonet ring but with the different CO .

So my question is that ARE GETTING THE RIGHT CONCEPT OF MULTIHOMING IF WE ARE GOING TO CONNECT THE SAME RING, as multihoming means to different home/link. ???
Old 10-06-2004, 05:12 AM
NHCOLO

Multi-homing means having multiple connections to the Internet.

There are two basic types of multi-homed.

* An organisation which has connections to Connect at more than one point of presence, and has internal links between these sites; or

* An organisation which has a connection to Connect and at least one other Internet access provider.

(Basically to have more than 1 link connected from different providers or uplinks).
Old 10-06-2004, 05:20 AM
miketike

Hi NHCOLO,

I beleive most of the Popular datacenters provide MultiHomed BW right?. Do you provide MultiHomed BW too?.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:25 AM
NHCOLO

Yes we are multi-homed. In order to be Multi-Homed yes you need ASN #'s and two decent router's and the knowledge of BGP or peering. I guess you could use private ASN's but I dont think you would be considered Multi-Homed.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:30 AM
miketike

Hi,

I don't have much knowedge in datacenters. What is ASN please?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:35 AM
NHCOLO

Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) are globally unique numbers that are used to identify autonomous systems (ASes) and which enable an AS to exchange exterior routing information between neighboring ASes. An AS is a connected group of IP networks that adhere to a single and clearly defined routing policy.

Typically a router is assigned an AS # and ordered from ARIN.NET for $500 per year............ If you need some more help post the questions im heading off to sleep now but ill answer tomm ..... Good Luck Mike!! You can email me too if you need some direct help..
Old 10-06-2004, 05:40 AM
miketike

Thank You for your great info. I will post it if i need any help.

Thanks Again
Mike