Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 08-16-2006, 01:55 AM
joelcching

Default Precision Aircon + Comfort Type AC as Backup

Hi,
I am tasked to make a research for the best and most practical approach in replacing our old sets of Precision Aircon Unit (PACU) being used for our Data Center. Since cost is a factor, below are the options being considered:
OPTION 1: To purchase 3 units of PACU @ XX TR each plus 1 unit of Comfort Type (CT) as their backup - The idea is whenever one PACU need to be temporarily shutdown for a certain reason (i.e., preventive maintenance, unit failure, etc.,) the CT will be used as an additional AC. Thus, 2 units of PACU and 1 unit of CT will be operational for the time being. Once the PACU being maintained becomes operational again, the CT will be shutdown to operate all PACUs again.

OPTION2: To purchase 1 unit of PACU @ XX TR plus XX units of CTs as its backup - The idea is almost the same as OPTION 1, i.e., whenever the PACU needs to be temporarily shutdown for a certain reason (i.e., preventive maintenance, unit failure, etc.,) the CTs will be used as temporary cooling solution. Once the PACU being maintained becomes operational again, the CT will be shutdown to operate using PACU again.

Question: Are both options advisable? If yes, which is better? Or using CT as a backup AC for PACU is really not a "good" idea? Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 08-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Administrator

I'd use multiple precision air units for computer room cooling in an N+1 architecture. This allows for planned or unplanned outage of one unit while the remaining ones carry the load. In your case, make sure the electrical load never exceeds the capacity of 3 units. Why would you use a comfort unit?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 AM
joelcching

Hi KenB,
Thanks a lot for your reply!
Regarding why would we use a comfort type is mainly because we would like to explore the practical side of it (since cost is a factor). Comfort Type is a lot cheaper than the PACU, we are thinking of using them just for short term use, i.e., in case our PACU is under maintenance. Although we have not decided this yet. We are still at the planning and research stage. Our objective is to have the right solution so that our investment will be worth it.

Regards,
Joel

Last edited by joelcching; 08-17-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:49 PM

If a CT unit is shut down and not run for some time how do you know it's still operational when you need it? Are you thinking Chilled Water or Something else?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 AM
joelcching

Hi,
We are thinking of a split type floorstander AC. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Relocating thread to the Datacenter Development forum.

Please feel free to post replies to this thread from within the datacenter development forum.

--Keith