Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Trace power

Our PowerWare UPS shows output levels across 3 phases. They are listed as phase A,B, and C. Phase C is currently at 75% while phase A&B are below 30%. Some of the outlets in the floor are labeled A, B, or C and some are not. I tried moving some equipment to an outlet labeled phase A from a outlet labeled phase C but that seemed to increase the load on phase B; This lead me to believe some of the outlets are mis-labeled.

I can call in an electrician to trace everything but it seems like there should be an easy way to trace them myself. I thought about plugging in some type of resister and watching the graph on the UPS but I could not find any simple off the shelf tool out there.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Administrator

zmanea,
Hi, and welcome to the forums! Check out this thread: http://www.datacentertalk.com/showth...ghlight=tracer

Ken
Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 AM

Thanks for the reply KenB. The power comes out of the UPS into a junction box and then breaks off into multiple outlets in the room. The junction box has 4 sides with multiple circuits coming out of each side. Each outlet is properly labeled to where it connects on the junction box but there is no information regarding what phase each one is.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

A high-current single phase device, such as a space heater, should make a noticeable change in one of the UPS meters. Remember that circuits with two hots (such as 208V in the US) will use a pair of phases.

Ken
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 AM

That actually worked perfectly! It definitely confused a couple of coworkers but it got the job done.