Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Default How to troubleshoot High Load

This is a greate article so I thought I ll share

http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine...-load?page=0,1
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Incase the load is due to I/O then you can use iotop to check which application has high reads and writes

On centos you can install it as per the following

yum install iotop
Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Hi
Its easy to reduce the load, 1st find the processes which consume high resources, then either kill them or terminate them.
ps -a

will help to find the processes.

kill or term will help to end it.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Yes you can look to see if any of the processes that are causing high load, are something that can be done without. Or you can try to adjust those processes so that they do not require such a high level of load. Sometimes you just need to make adjustments and then test those adjustments until you find the ideal solution.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM

My internet speed has been creating problem now a days, My friend suggest me to remove or kill Trouble shoot from your computer, I have no idea about this, Let me know, what is trouble shoot? How can I remove this, there is any error in my system due his..
Old 01-14-2015, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to jacobwallace Send a message via Yahoo to jacobwallace Send a message via Skype™ to jacobwallace

Hi
find the processes which consume high resources, then either kill them or terminate them.i think this is the simple way to reduce the load.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:17 PM

Default Load on server

This is good article on datacenter talk tools. Keep it up.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to truedon

great advice Check the top, iotop, memstat and disk utilization with iostat.

A huge problem in debugging a running system is that you may not catch the problem real-time so setting up proper graphing for log analysis and so forth is required, then a further configuration of range based alarms and triggers to ensure the system can run on auto-pilot is optimal. Using munin and monitd with nagios it is possible to achieve this, also cactus is good for resource graphing. I often have it running on one monitor whilst I work incase anything happens on the Disk IO level of TCP/IP. Graphing is the easiest way to forecast, see problems and debug.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truedon View Post
great advice Check the top, iotop, memstat and disk utilization with iostat.

A huge problem in debugging a running system is that you may not catch the problem real-time so setting up proper graphing for log analysis and so forth is required, then a further configuration of range based alarms and triggers to ensure the system can run on auto-pilot is optimal. Using munin and monitd with nagios it is possible to achieve this, also cactus is good for resource graphing. I often have it running on one monitor whilst I work incase anything happens on the Disk IO level of TCP/IP. Graphing is the easiest way to forecast, see problems and debug.
So true! You really must graph out everything to see how your system performs and the peaks effect on your service. Mostly all sites I have been brought into where having downtime issues only during their peak, so find a budget solution to handle the peak has been a good use of Cloud service providers and automatic provisioning with Chef and Vagrant.