Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Post fire sprinkler system

Does all data center systems use fire sprinkler system in order to control a full scale fire, because I had seen a couple of data centers which are not using these systems. Is there any fire prevention standards to be used in data centers.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

In the US, the standards are set by the NFPA (nfpa.org). Although sprinklers are not required, some type of approved automatic fire suppression is needed.

Ken
Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM

In Australia, Different standards are used in fire sprinkler system for system,maintenance and fire pump sets which all comes in the series of AS2118.x.x

Its Better to have a fire sprinkler system , in case of any unavoidable situations like cable shortage,over voltage or any AC compressor damage fire can broke out which will lead to disaster.My opinion is Prevention is better than cure.

Last edited by naturelover; 05-13-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:24 PM

That is right. I think it really comes down to what the standard and laws are regarding data centers in the country you are living in. I am glad to see there are requirements for such things as this. It could save a building or two.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 AM

When we build our data center in Sweden we had only requirements for fire detection system and exit plans for the building. Regarding fire prevention system it was only for our own sake and to keep our insurance company happy.

We ended up installing ordinary water sprinklers in all common areas with no electronics and used an argonite fire suppression system in all areas with sensitive equipment.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM

I agree with the others that it really depend on the regulations of the country you are in. We do not use any sprinklers but we have a fire detection and suppression mechanisms.