Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Server Discussion

Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Server Monitoring

We use a combination for our monitoring, basciall yeach technology monitors ther own, we are looking to get something that is used throughout our organisation - NetIQ, MOM, not surte yet, but they are cost prohibative, what other solutions are out there that you use and how do you find them?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Hello,

We use trivoli monitoring system and it provides by IBM. It basically check the usage of CPU, Memory and disk space and send notification. It normally checks with threshold value, and then send the notification. All our boxes are solaris.

For more info.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/monitor/
Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM

We are currently using MOM. The cost of MOM can be expensive but it does a pretty good job.

We have been using it for a year now without any problems. I love that it always provides you with possible solutions to problems that it finds
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
We are currently using MOM. The cost of MOM can be expensive but it does a pretty good job.

We have been using it for a year now without any problems. I love that it always provides you with possible solutions to problems that it finds
We looked at MOM, and it looked pretty impressive - but the cost put us off. Especially as you have to buy all the add ons for apps like Exchange / SQL etc

Do you think it's worth the price?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Leader

My 2 cents. NetIQ sucks, I used it for a few years and hated it. The discovery process is ########, and the mgmt interface is just horrible.

MOM now SCOM is very pricey but it provides very detailed and consistent monitoring. I love having the ability to write your own management pack. I like that SCOM integrates into software such as Dell Open Manage. When I was working with SCOM in a dev environment I had it not only monitoring Windows Servers but Linux/Unix Servers and even Cisco devices. I am a big fan of the interfacing options to the end user. Especially the fact that I can provide a Web front end specific to certain groups.

My vote is with MOM/SCOM for any monitoring needs.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey View Post
My 2 cents. NetIQ sucks.
LOL - Got to go with you on that score, its a full time job keeping the bloody application running and getting decent information out of it!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:33 AM

MOM is what we went with. Yes it was expensiv, but that cost is over and done with now and we are happy with the performance of the product. Its rock solid.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Take a look at Nagios, it's free but can be complex to deploy. Groundworks and a few others offer custom enterprise monitoring based on Nagios- they do the work for you.

Or try Zenoss
Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 PM

1. Nagios is pretty good and it is flexible 'cause you can make your own plugins for it.

2. ZABBIX - great monitoring tool. It has smth like its own API to configure services for monitoring, and also it will draw monitoring charts for you (load average, services inaccessibility, etc)
Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 AM

in addition to above, if you monitor UPS or PDU's look for NUT Network UPS Tools (supports almost all the UPS manufacturers) and Powerman for pdu's.

Both should be available free on sourceforge or elsewhere on the net