Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Telecom Discussion Forum > Routing Algorithms

Old 12-26-2004, 04:44 PM
stevy

Default Provisioning Juniper M160

Hi,

Friend of mine working on datacenter and they boucght new Juniper M160 for their datacenter which to connect with few Ciscoo routers. Also Juniper M160 will be connected to OC-192. He would like to do some performance testing. Do you have any provisioning exp with this swith. If you have any let me know.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:30 PM
IRCCo Jeff

Referring to an M160 as a switch is like referring to the Grave Digger as a car . I would not imagine that many folks here have had a chance to play with one of those (the router nor the Grave Digger).
Old 05-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Juniper Junkie

Actually, you're in luck, I work on M160's every day

We've never performance-tested them per se, but I have a pretty good idea of their capabilities, quirks, strengths, etc.

Let me know what questions you have.

Last edited by Juniper Junkie; 05-18-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Juniper Junkie

And Jeff, that's a damn good analogy
Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
pdw8

I use m160's on a daily basis aswell, feel free to ask any questions.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Save yourself the trouble: the box will do line-rate on all ports, down to as small packets as you want to push; all in a single flow, or stepping through single-packet flows. If I recall, there are a few particular packet size thresholds that could affect performance, and TCAM space is not infinite, but there is nothing that will affect your real-world forwarding.

Exception Path Processing and the umbilical ethernet to the routing engine were the only interesting limitations I recall on the previous-generation Junipers. There's that whole "out-of-order packet" issue with the M160, but I don't thing that in-order delivery is an issue beyond the datacenter/enterprise; not for backbone routing.

Speaking of "switch", yes, the M160 has been used as a switch: a giant frame-relay switch, for a carrier which couldn't get beyond OC48 rates on the Marconi ASX4000 platform. I think PacBell NAP also tried using it to extend their ATM peering point to 10G (lotta good it did them).

Forwarding is not all a router does, and Juniper isn't perfect. But you won't find anything interesting with your performance test if you stick to core-router applications.