Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Telecom Discussion Forum > Routing Algorithms

Old 05-10-2005, 07:03 PM
dcjones

Default Dynamic routing table VS Static Routing Table

What is the advantage of using daynamic routing table instead of static routing table?. What kind of routing table most of the routers use?. If you hae any Idea, please let me know.

Thank You
Jones
Old 05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Juniper Junkie

The advantage of dynamic routing is when you have multiple routers that have a sizable quantity of routes that you want to be accessible from every router.If you have routers A through F, you don't want to have to manually go into every router and static route every subnet to the appropriate interface, instead, you run a routing protocol that allows all of the routers to share their subnet information with each other.

Most internet networks run two routing protocols, one for internal routing and one to interface with other networks. The de facto standard for network-to-network dynamic routing is BGP, and internal routing is handled by any one of OSPF, ISIS, IBGP, IBGP+MPLS, and EIGRP.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:59 PM
dcjones

Thank you for your info. For the Dyanmic table, how about the memory and cpu time. Does it take lots of load everytime when it updates. If there is 1000 of peers, then it might need more cpu right?.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Juniper Junkie

Absolutely.

RAM is more of an issue than CPU. The current internet BGP routing table consists of about 150k routes, which last time I check consumed about 384M of RAM, I have seen a full routing table cause a lower-end router to crash/reboot more times than I can count, invariably they only have 128M or 256M, and we must switch to advertising a default route only.

Last edited by Juniper Junkie; 05-18-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM

hi all
what i can say about dynamic algorithm is that they are meant to work efficiently when the traffic and number of nodes are very high.if the congestion is less then static routing works well.