Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 AM

Smile Firewall or No firewall? please help

I have been assigned to setup some servers in the datacenter... we have two DBs (and may expand to 3) running behind a load balancer to get the best performance and avoid bottleneck when search queries are being done.

We have a DB of about 20 million records... so a lot of searches.

to all DC experts... do you recommend that i do without a firewall or with a firewall. i always thought that if we put in a firewall in front of the web server, the connection (and bottleneck) will slow down tremendously, is this true?

should i put in a Cisco/Netscreen firewall or i can do away with iptables (Linux firewall if you will)?

please advise. thank you! i need to know this asap.

Last edited by bigdaddy; 04-24-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 AM

I have not seen any deficiency in our own sites from setting up a firewall. I think all you can do to protect your network is better than having downtime due to attacks.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 AM

I have to agree that it would not hurt to put a fire wall on. I think that as Blast said you want to protect your server instead of taking the chance that it will be attacked ad downtime can really hurt most business.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 AM

I think you will have to go with firewall because it will protect your data.I am also using the firewall in our system and i dont think it is affecting speed.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1544 View Post
I think you will have to go with firewall because it will protect your data.I am also using the firewall in our system and i dont think it is affecting speed.
B$ - a firewall won't protect your data, it will simply restrict access down to your systems.

Depending on your traffic load, you should appropriately size the firewall - for example, if your solution is doing 500,000pps/ A few Gig of traffic don't use a SonicWall TZ170 or Cisco ASA5505 as it will just die under the load

Ensure that you configure the firewall appropriately else it would just as well be used as a door stop to!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM

I think the same< it would be better to apply a hardware solution.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
I think the same< it would be better to apply a hardware solution.
Oh, defiantly always recommend a hardware firewall - software firewalls always scare the pants out of me purely for the reason that the packets are still getting to the server, and if there is a flaw in the firewall code it could be exploited. While this can happen on a hardware firewall, at least it is physically separate to your servers
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM

Default Firewall or No firewall? please help

I would say to definitely use a firewall. The reasoning about dialup and different IP's has a flaw. The flaw is that if you have a trojan virus running, and no firewall or effective AV program, the trojan virus sits there and opens a port on your computer, and will either send out packets of data basically saying 'here is a wide open computer ripe for exploitation', or opens a port and waits for a incoming data stream. It doesn't matter that there is a different IP each time, this trojan would be broadcasting the current one. Some of these can identify themselves as coming from a specific computer.
The XP firewall does nothing to stop anything from connecting out, a third party firewall can monitor what is connecting out, and can allow or deny access to the internet.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:44 AM

I agree with Blast. To protect your network is better than having downtime due to attacks.