Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Default Security requirement of a DC

Now security is a major issue with DCs. So what percentage of data center budget should be allocated for physical security according to you?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 AM

Well i think swipecard, CCTV and manned 24/7 security is probably industry standard now. So depending on your budget that may be a small % or a big one

Global Solutions for your WAN, Hosting & Voice
Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Along with the above ensuring the security surrounding the building (fencing, external cameras, motion and thermal detection is relatively standard.

Internal to that, ensuring any ground floor/ first floor accessible windows are fully secured (either bricked up or bars installed) and ensuring appropriate security doors throughout the whole building.

The reason I specify first floor as well - I know a company last year based on a shared industrial park with roaming security had a team of thieves attack the building with a ladder, remove the first floor windows, and get away with the majority of line cards from a high number of routers! They even took the time to unrack some of the equipment too - outrageous!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM

No security is security enough. You've got to think maximum security prison if you want to feel safe, after all, it's a sensitive business we're in.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 AM

Default Security...

Well, i cant get too much in to detail, but with our new project, security is a top subject. I think, the percentage of the cost is between 3-5%. We got lucky, because our buildings are actually bunkers, the site security resembles a high security prison, lots of fun features... FLIR cameras, video analytics etc.
The whole data center park will be 760 acres with 184 buildings... you can imagine.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Ho ho ho, like a small town. Tight as a nuclear shelter, large as a city. I bet it's fun to work there, now isn't it?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Heh - that's pretty good. Hopefully you'll get a few people to think twice before deciding they want something.

Sounds like fun to me. :P