Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Telecom Discussion Forum > Routing Algorithms

Old 09-22-2004, 04:26 AM
whccdavid

Default OSPF vs MPLS

I am just curious about both algorithm?. Is anyone can give comparison between both alogorithm.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:37 AM
telemark

Accodring to my knowledge I would say MPLS is faster and don't need big memory since it doesn't keep lable permamently it create routing talbe dyanamically. OSPF makes static routing table after first packter went through switches.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:11 AM

MPLS - Advantages
Provides QoS support (Fast, consistent forwarding)
Provides traffic engineering support
(Different routes can be assigned to flows at ingress routers)
Provides multi-protocol support
( Different protocols are only distinguished at ingress and
egress routers, IPv4, IPv6, 802.3 (Ethernet), VLAN,
IEEE1394(DV)

OSPF - Advantages
Low traffic overhead, Fast convergence
Larger network metrics, Area based topology
Route summaries, Support for complex address
structures Authenticated routing updates
DataCenterTalk - Datacenter Discussion , Review & Ratings

COMING SOON - NEW UK & US Reseller plans, Dedicated servers
Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Adam (Sephora)

Hey guys, I am not an expert on these routing algorithms, but I think that it is benficial if you also look at the disadvantages of the algorithms instead of just the advantages. It would certainly aid in determining which algo would be best for your business. Here's some information I pulled up from across the Internet.

Multiprotocol Label Switching
It is said that Multiprotocol Label Switching is a great algorithm for service providers which is apaprent due to the apparent volume of providers re-engineering their backbone to operate MPLS. Please note that these disadvantages were pulled from http://www.proteris.com/library/pape...vpn_7_2004.pdf
  1. MPLS does not encrypt traffic. While this is true, MPLS has been demonstrated to be as secure as a frame relay or ATM network. Depending upon your need for privacy, this may be adequate. Many service providers also offer an encryption option to MPLS, which is running IPSEC over an MPLS network. There is also no reason that a client cannot run their own encrypted network over MPLS as well.
  2. MPLS is a backbone network only technology. This means that if a good number of your VPN users will be accessing information from home or hotel rooms, MPLS will not be available for those users.
  3. Like frame relay, MPLS is typically only available within a single service provider’s footprint. This may limit availability depending on the location of remote offices.
  4. Like frame relay or ATM, once you have built your VPN around MPLS, you will be locked into a single service provider for some time. Changing service providers may mean some disruption in your VPN access.

Open Shortest Path First
Just from reading around the Internet, a lot of people seem to say that OSPF Version 2 (OSPF-2) as defined in RFC 1583 is rapidly replacing RIP on the Internet. This seems to be emphasised on every site I have looked at regarding OSPF and so I thought it would be of relevance to post here. Anyway, back to the disadvantages, I pulled this information from http://www.cisco-training-courses.co...nformation.htm
  1. Memory overhead. OSPF uses a link state database to keep track of all routers and networks within each attached area. With a complex topology, this database can be much larger than the corresponding routing pool, and may limit the maximum size of an area.
  2. Processor overhead. During steady state operation the OSPF CPU usage is low, mainly due to the traffic between routers. However, when a topology change is detected, there is a large amount of processing required to support flooding of changes, and recalculation of the routing table.
  3. Configuration. OSPF can be complex to configure.

I hope this helps your decision in some way.