Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM

Default Power to DC

Hi Guys,

I seek your help,i been posted to facilties support and been reading abt DC operations lately. Please let me know if the picture of power being transmitted is correct.

Power from Substation in KV (e.g. 22KV)

To the buiding with DC, it will first go to the transformer and step down to V(e.g. 415 V) then to another transformer step down again to 230 V

Then splits to UPS & Generator where it is measured in KVA (e.g. 100KVA)

and goes to DC and servers in KW.

PLS correct me if im wrong

Now, what is the power of 230V in laymen terms..is 230V going into each DC or is 230V being shared by 5 DC or 230 V for a whole 10th storey office buidling?

How much power comes in to a office building generally?

How does it work? Pls help..
Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

I'd recommend that you speak to an building electrical design engineer - this is not stuff to play around with and mistakes are generally very costly (both financially, and in human life).
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 PM

I would have to agree with Schumie on this one. Unless you are 100% certain about what you are doing I would recommend for you to talk to a spe############t.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 AM

Thanks for your feedback guys...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Hi smilers,

Your picture is almost right.

I presume you are not the designer for the data center, at least not for the electricity, but only wants to understand the basics.

You receive power from a power station where voltage may differ from 11kV to 220kV, this can probably be other values in different countries.

After this you want to transform it into 400V and keep it there for distribution.

Distribution starts with a switchgear where you manage connections to possible backup generators and UPS including batteries.

After the UPS you go back to the switchgear and put up fuses for distribution to all zones. For example our data center we use 400A for both A- and B-system for each row of racks.

At each end of a row of racks a distribution board is put up with fuses for each rack. A note is that we're still on 400V.

To provide the customer with desired voltage you split your three-phase 400V into one-phase 230V. This is done without a transformer. I'm not that into electricity and english language to explain the procedure for how this happens but you'll get the picture.

Hope this helps.

Also understand that this is how I built our data center. It can be done in numerous other ways, for example consider your customers only use 48V direct current rather then 230V actual current. This will be another scenario.

Regards,
Mike
Old 08-30-2009, 10:40 AM

I think siplank has a good point. I think its better to listen to him to aviod any problems later.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 AM

Its much clearer now..

Thanks Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 AM

Mike has a good point with all those computation fro electricity and other things.I'm not a professional with this matter and i agree to Schumie,an electrical design engineer will answer more of your question specifically when you apply it in actual basis.