Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 09-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Default server room temprature?

I want to build the server room with 6-8 2u servrs. I don't know the optimal temperature of server room. What would be the ideal room temprature I need to keep? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Nike
Old 09-19-2008, 09:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to HHSS

Hi Nike

Well, It depends on several things. Total heatloss from the hardware, the rooms size in m3 etc. Whether the temperature in front of the servers is 18 or 23 degrees Celcius is not important. What is important is, that the temperature is maintained at a constant level.
It's also important, that you use blanking panels in the rackspace that you are not using, to ensure the optimal airflow, thus lowering the energy needed for cooling. Also try to seperate the hot air from the rear of the rack, from the cool air in front of the rack, to optimize your cooling solution.
Good luck

Datacenter System Architect
Old 09-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks a lot Henrik. It's a 42U rack and I'm new to it and I was thinking to keep around 60 degree fahrenheit. Do you think it would be good?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM

if you set your room up in a cold aisle/hot aisle arrangement, it shouldn't matter what the temperature is of the room. you should be looking closer at the temperature of the air going into your racks. So long as that does not exceed manufacturer's specs, you should be fine.

we set our CRAC units to 72F, the air coming out of the floor is around 55-60F. the inlet air at the top of my racks range from 75 - 80F. We are mainly a HP shop, and they recommend not to exceed 90F.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM

When you decide temperature you need to look at manufacture spec to decide what is optimal for all devices in the data center. To save energy most devices will operate fine at 71 to 72 degrees. The issue you have is if have a problem with your cooling the temperature rises fast. So contact someone who can help you in design of your data center. They can help with all those questions as well as humidity control and more specifics to your environment.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to HHSS

Personally I think that 60 F is too low. I would recommend around 68 - 72 F (20 - 23 C). But like I wrote ealier, that challenge is to maintain a constant temperature in front of the rack, and at the same time ensure that the rear temperature doesn't exeed 95 F (35 C). If the rear temperature is too high, then you can lower the front temperature. But adjust the front temperature, according the the rear temperature.
Also try to obtain a good airflow, so that the hot air will go into the air/water heatexchanger without mixing with the cold air. Think creative. It's not always necessary to purchase a lot of expensive equipment, to obtain a good cooling solution :-)

Datacenter System Architect
Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM

I would say that you can tolerate upto 78 or even 80F as i have seen some of the reviews with the configuration stated above. But you must make sure that there are enough space to pass on the heat and provide the means for that. Make the cooling solutions proper.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM

All my gear is kept in the 65-70 degree range. I find that this temprature range keeps the systems running smooth and lowers failure rate.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Good Evening, Sorry for my delay in posting this response.

My question to you is why do you need a server room for 6-8 servers? It is somewhat overkill and quite honestly a waste of money to build a room for this many servers. 60 degrees is too cold...You will be wasting money trying to maintain 60 degrees when in all reality, the servers can run just fine in 72 degrees. I have lost chillers before and had a server room heat up to 110 degrees and most of the servers maintained shape, the others turned off due to HP's built in self defense.

As for cold aisle/hot aisle...it is important to realise that there is no aisle. You cant have hot/cold aisles if you do not have aisles to worry about! If I were in your position, assuming money is a concern, I would throw these servers in to a closet of some sort and purchase a free standing AC unit. 6-8 servers will most likely not generate as much heat as you'd think. If the office space was right, I would likely not be opposed to putting a half rack cabinet with a lock somewhere in the corner of the office.

Back to your original question...from what I have seen, it has always been an undocumented standard to shoot for 68-72 degrees. As noted earlier, it really would not hurt anything to run at around 75 degrees. Keep it under 110 and you should be fine! ;-)