Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 03-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Default which data cabling needs low-voltage license?

I have heard some people say that any structured or permanent data wiring requires a licensed low-voltage electrician to pull a permit, and to have a city inspection. "permanent" is variously interpreted to mean: anything that is installed once and used forever (structured wiring in plenum or riser); or anything with a 66 or 110 punch-down at one or both ends.

That sounds a bit excessive! Does anyone have tips on how to interpret what datacenter data cabling requires a permit?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:41 PM
NACmwinship

That does sound a bit excessive, your municipal building inspector should be able to provide you with a code book or at the very least be able to answer your questions.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:21 PM

Thanks. I've had inconsistent rulings from our inspectors in the past. For example, our electrical inspector insisted that we needed hard electrical conduit from our PDUs down under the raised floor to each cabinet receptacle. I know that flexible "whips" are used under raised flooring at other datacenters in the same municipality. I am wondering if our inspector just doesn't like us.