Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 08-27-2005, 08:47 PM
MadroosterTony

Default Where to buy all parts?

Ok, we are moving forward with this idea to open a small DC.

Is there some place people can recommend I can call and get a quote all the stuff we are going to need for the actual core of the DC (i.e. Racks, Routers, monitoring, KVM over IP (or Crash Cards), etc. ) I am not talking about things like generators, UPS, HVAC systems, etc..

Just the core hardware to make everything run, I have a list started in excel, but I am sure there is something I am missing. Looks like we have a layout that will support 150 Racks, but we will probally only put 50-75 in to get started. :-)
Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
expresscolo

It's me again... its like I am stalking you or something.

For routers and switches in production enviroment I recommend http://www.networkhardware.com/ they sell used Cisco, Juniper, and Extreme Networks equipment at decent prices. They also carry a one year warranty on the equipment. They aren't the cheapest (for the cheapest I would go to ebay, but I have been burned before with some stuff that only lasted a couple of weeks).

For racks and other stuff we have a company but I forget the name... started with a C I think. Sorry I can't be more help... We only really use bakers racks now.

KVM over IP we use an ATEN unit (~$499) and then hook it to standard daisy chained KVMs. Not the best solution if you want to provide something to your customers, but it is great for disagnosing problems remotely. Just make sure that the KVM units you do choose will support on screen display (and make sure you maintain your KVM port to server list).

Hope that helps.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:38 PM
MadroosterTony

Thanks, that atleast gives me a place to start. Coming from the Highend Home Automation market, I know how to terminate fiber, and beginning to think, that I want to run dual-mode fiber to every rack, and then split out to cat5e from there.

Since the building we are looking at is narrow and long, that way it wont matter if you are next to the router (at front of the building) or in the very back corner. :-)
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
jmaresca2005

you can get a quote form PTS Data Center Solutions, Inc. Here is the info >> http://www.ptsdcs.com//contactus.asp
Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 PM
atermine

Default response for express colo

express colo

i see that you are looking for manufactures to provide for racks, power, air conditioning, KVM, KMM, security, and environmentals and other such components.

APC is a manufacture out of West Kingston RI that is a solutions provider for all the forementioned.

Try them out.

thanks
andrew terminesi
dallas tx