Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:46 PM
techdeck

Default 42U cabinet wtih blade server

How many blade servers we can put on 42U cabinets. What is the advantage of using blade servers. We need to get few servers for our offices to run small applications ot stroe our students data and other stuffs. Also does this good for VOIP applications?, I have heard there there will be heating issues. If you have any experiecne with blade servers please let me know.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 AM
kelly

I am not an experienced guy, but you need to have different kind of cabinets to holds blade servers. Am I right?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:39 AM
geekster

I've only delt with IBM and HP Blades as of this moment.

Blade server come in a chassis, that are a bit deeper than a standard server, because of all the cooling fans they have to put in the chassis. The IBM for example has 2 large rotary blowers with vents in the back. They will fit in standard rack, this is not the problem. Its the power that is the issue. Most data centers that where build from 99-02 can handle cooling of 65Watts Per SQFT , and now a days the new centers that are being built need to be able to cool 100-300 Watts Per SQFT, 300 being a bit excessive and 150 being a more real #.

You will find it very hard to find a provider who will provide you the 3-4 30AMP power ciricuts to one cabinet to power your 4-5 blade server chassis, let alone have them agree to cool that dense of a heat load. Technically speaking you can put 4-5 chassis in a rack.

Hope this helps.

There is a company called B-Line that makes a really nice 47U cabinet! Great for packing in the servers.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:46 PM
bduplessie

Default HP Blade Racks

Ive been installing 24 HP Blades in 3 enclosures. There are three more cabinets on backorder. The HP BL 20P system allow for up to 6 enclosures in a 42u rack, with 8 blades per enclosure. By time you install patch panels in the top of the rack, you will only get 5 enclosures in the rack though.

Ben Duplessie
Old 02-26-2006, 04:22 AM
www.lanjam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdeck
How many blade servers we can put on 42U cabinets. What is the advantage of using blade servers. We need to get few servers for our offices to run small applications ot stroe our students data and other stuffs. Also does this good for VOIP applications?, I have heard there there will be heating issues. If you have any experiecne with blade servers please let me know.
How many blade servers we can put on 42U cabinets ?
a. Physically usually 4-5 max b. Power requirements for these will most likely require a power distribution unit which can be vertically mounted. c. Make sure the cabinet has sufficent space for good airflow on all sides if it is a enclosed cabinet. Many people purchase cabinets that are exact equipment size and forget that cabling, airflow, and workable space should be a factor in cabinet size selection.

What is the advantage of using blade servers ?
a. Density b. Expanability

Also does this good for VOIP applications ?
a. VOIP applications are independent of blade servers as I believe they are in themselves a separate device.

I have heard there there will be heating issues ?
a. Heating issues are typically caused by improper rack or cabinet setups and lack of sufficient HVAC systems. Incorrect cabinet sizes, lack of cable management, lack of HVAC or airflow systems, and damming or filler plates to direct airflow.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:37 PM

This posts is##very##informative.##Thank you!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 PM

This posts is##very##informative.##Thank you!