Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 AM

Default Need a BGP Router recommendation

Hi All -

We are looking for consolidating our servers across the data center we have to one single data center. We are colocating our servers with the existing provider and which we are not managing the network, the IP addresses belongs to the data center.

We have applied our own /21 Class C IP addresses and looking to get our AS number as well. At the new DC, we plan to setup our own BGP router with multi-homing with 2 different uplinks for some redundancy. We are utilizing around 300Mbps of bandwidth in total across all the data center at the moment. What is the recommended BGP router for this purpose?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM

Looking at your traffic rates I would possible go for a Juniper m7i. It can handle up to several Gbps of traffic so you have some room for growth.
Please keep in mind that one router isn't redundant so you might want to get 2.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Hey mdf -

Thanks for the reply. Other than Juniper, is Cisco router recommended? What are the comparison between both?

Ya, will be getting 2 router basically, one will be a new one and the second one will probably be a re-con type.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy18 View Post
Hey mdf -

Thanks for the reply. Other than Juniper, is Cisco router recommended? What are the comparison between both?

Ya, will be getting 2 router basically, one will be a new one and the second one will probably be a re-con type.
Cisco might be recommended as well. You might look out for a 7204vxr or 7206vxr. Since you're pushing 300mbits, you want to get at least a NPE-400 or better a NPE-G1 (which has 3 gigabit nics onboard).

You are going to have more luck with Cisco then with Juniper if you're searching for some refurbished units, though.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 AM

hi i think you should try Simple Quagga BGP router which will be more sufficient for your data center.

you need to setup the following config to run this system BGP router

* Router IP: 74.125.53.103/29
* Router AS: 9283
* Public IP Range: 209.85.171.0/24 (these are the public IP addresses we use which run through the router listed above)
* Neighbor IP: 74.125.53.104/29
* Neighbor AS: 9283

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM

I can suggest to go with Juniper only on more sustained bandwidth usage like multiple Gigs.

Juniper have the "super" feature that has got ASIC processore dedicated on each interface, so you can install thousends of ACL without performance degradation. I cannot say the same for Cisco routers.

Accordingly with your need I quote the Cisco 7200VXR. It will do the work pretty well.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Vyatta has a very good product from what we've tested out in our lab and best of all, its free.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 AM

You only use BGP when your peered neighbor uses it. You need to obtain commercial-grade Internet service rather than home consumer based service. Call a commercial accounts spe############t.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 PM

I would suggest Cisco 6509-e with Sup720-3BXL. Works like a charm for us.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:14 AM

I would also suggests for Cisco because the Supervisor Engine 720 delivers scalable-performance, intelligence, and a broad set of features to address the needs of the most demanding service provider.