Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 AM

Default Data Center Construction

Anyone know where I can find an article stating what "hard wall" means based on the TIA 942 standard?

We are currently constructing a data center but the contractor has placed a gypsum board on the data center perimeter and they are saying that the board is already categorized as hard wall. Per TIA 942, " all data center perimeter walls need to be full height, HARD WALL construction"

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Default Hard wall

MATERIALS OF CONSTRUCTION

CHAPTER I
PLASTERS AND NATURAL CEMENTS

A. GYPSUM PLASTERS

1. Definition and Classification.—Gypsum plasters may be defined as those plasters which are produced by the partial or complete dehydration of gypsum. Pure gypsum is a mixture of 1 part of calcium sulphate (CaSO4) and 2 parts of water (2H20). Gypsum plasters may be classified as follows:

1. Those produced by the incomplete dehydration of the gypsum, the

calcination being carried on at a temperature less than 400 degrees Fahrenheit, (a) Plaster of Paris (CaSO, + JiH2O), in which no foreign material

has been added either during or after the calcination. (6) Cement plaster, which is made from an impure gypsum or by adding certain impurities, during the manufacture, to act as a retarder to the plaster. This plaster is often called hard wall or patent plaster.

2. Those plasters produced by the complete dehydration of the gypsum,

the calcination being carried on at temperatures greater than 400
degrees Fahrenheit.

(a) Calcined plaster (flooring plaster), a pure calcined gypsum.
(6) Hard-finish plaster, which is made by calcining gypsum at a red
heat or higher temperature and to which certain substances,
such as alum or borax, have been added.

2. Manufacture of Gypsum Plasters.—The process of manufacture is essentially the same for all of the first class of gypsum plasters, variations being made in the temperature of calcination and the purity of the gypsum used. The raw material is a natural gypsum rock usually containing from 1 to 6 per cent of impurities. The rock is crushed, ground to a powder, and then heated in a large calcining kettle. If a rotary calcincr is used, the fine grinding is done after the calcination. In making plaster of Paris, a pure gypsum is calcined at a temperature of about 220 degrees Fahrenheit thus driving off three-fourths of the water present. Cement plaster is made in the same way, an a retarder (a substance to led after the calcination ing lumps of gypsum in a used for the calcination of ion is usually about 850 squired is about 3 hours. g will burn the plaster and

and hardening. After the F ground.

ddnd of hard-finish plaster. very pure gypsum at a red turn solution, recalcining it,

-All gypsum plasters will proper amount of water. plaster and the water to faries from 5 minutes to 2 and the conditions of the Ire gypsum are the quicker £form the harder substances. wncerning the strength of Sions of testing have never ties according to the quality 9, and the care taken in the ve an idea of the strength
Old 09-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Very good and##informative##exchange##..##Thank you!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Very good and##informative##exchange##..##Thank you!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Very well explained by you dcrelocation , keep it up, we need such good expert advice here, as we all are hungry to make our own data center .
Old 12-10-2014, 02:29 AM

I know this is an old thread, so, sorry.

But my question would be: where was the engineer in all this?

In my experience, contractors (most of them) take the easy/cheap way out. If you want it done right, you need someone who has your back, and that usually means a consulting engineer whose job it is to not only specify items like this, but make sure what is actually supplied meets the spec!

No, I'm not an engineer, just an owner who has been burned in the past by cheap contractors. In the end, I blame myself, for taking the low bid and/or not listening to others who told me to "watch out" for "that" contractor.

Live and learn I guess.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:25 PM

Constructing a data center is a tedious job, and only a professional can do it effortlessly. Every organization has its own requirements and the data center should be constructed accordingly, so that it can fulfill the purposes of data storage, processing and distribution. These data center professionals offer their wholehearted services in constructing a flawless data center, within a limited time and an affordable price. Thanks for the conversation.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM

In order to set up a data center flawlessly, it is better to take the services of some expert professionals, who have sufficient knowledge, experience and expertise in designing and constructing data centers. For the smooth functioning of an organization, the data center should be well-built and all the necessary equipment and machinery should be installed at the data center with the assistance of the expert data center professionals.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM

If you are constructing a data center, you must consult with a proficient data center expert, who can assist you with all the requirements that are necessary for constructing a data center properly. The services of this organization are quite notable regarding the construction work of a data center. I took their services and acquired satisfactory assistance for constructing my data center.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:20 PM

Default Looking for someone to build your Data Center?

PTS exists to help client strategize across all three alternatives, with in-house experts, across IT and Facility disciplines in building their data center.

For more detailed information call us 201-337-3833 or visit http://pts-de.com/

PTS Data Center Solutions
16 Thornton Road
Oakland NJ 07436
201-337-3833