Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Server Discussion

Old 09-08-2015, 05:30 PM

Default Server Rack, are rails good enough?

I am trying to rack mount a bunch of equipment at my house and had a question. I currently have four rails (2-front, 2-rear) from an APC rack that was decommissioned. Just the rails. Is there anything that would happen if I stood up those four rails, at the bottom attached my 3U APC to start, so they stand and then start stacking things up higher and higher, in theory becoming more stable as more things were connected on all four sides to the rails? Or is there a reason I would need to put these rails in some form of enclosure or buy a full rack?

If I could get away with just the rails given a few mods (brackets, etc), any suggestions with pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

JR

EDIT: Just clarifying when I mention "rails" probably should say "posts". Guess that's the correct term.

Last edited by jriker1; 09-08-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:52 PM

Default Rails?

Good question.

In server racks rails are good to use if those are accompanied with server. Using non-certified or generic rails can be safely issue.

Most economical solution can be using Server tray on every 8-10 and stack servers on these trays. This will make life easy in case you have to remove or work on any of specific server.