Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Server Discussion

Old 03-13-2009, 07:53 AM

Default Want to Install SQL SERVER

Hello,
I want to install sql server as a database server and Oracle 10 I as a programming language for this i choose windows 2003 server as a operating system..OK.and come to hardware part i have 8 SATA hdd's each one has 300 gb of capacity. my requirement is i want to insert these 8 hdds into a system by using RAID LEVELS(Leave about configuration). in Raid Levels which level will give 100% data backup(safe).if u give preference for one particular raid level please let me know what are the benefits with that Please suggest me with best answers.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
Hello,
I want to install sql server as a database server and Oracle 10 I as a programming language for this i choose windows 2003 server as a operating system..OK.and come to hardware part i have 8 SATA hdd's each one has 300 gb of capacity. my requirement is i want to insert these 8 hdds into a system by using RAID LEVELS(Leave about configuration). in Raid Levels which level will give 100% data backup(safe).if u give preference for one particular raid level please let me know what are the benefits with that Please suggest me with best answers.

Thanks
Gracey when i use raid facility ,we can connect only 4 hard disk,because no any option r available in our motherboard that's why we connect more then 4 HDD. i think like this if any other answer u may get p, please inform me
Old 03-31-2009, 02:39 PM

* RAID 0 (striped disks) distributes data across several disks in a way that gives improved speed and full capacity, but all data on all disks will be lost if any one disk fails.

* RAID 1 (mirrored settings/disks) duplicates data across every disk in the array, providing full redundancy. Two (or more) disks each store exactly the same data, at the same time, and at all times. Data is not lost as long as one disk survives. Total capacity of the array is simply the capacity of one disk. At any given instant, each disk in the array is simply identical to every other disk in the array.

* RAID 5 (striped disks with parity) combines three or more disks in a way that protects data against loss of any one disk; the storage capacity of the array is reduced by one disk.

* RAID 6 (striped disks with dual parity) (less common) can recover from the loss of two disks.

* RAID 10 (or 1+0) uses both striping and mirroring. "01" or "0+1" is sometimes distinguished from "10" or "1+0": a striped set of mirrored subsets and a mirrored set of striped subsets are both valid, but distinct, configurations.

* RAID 53 Merges the features of RAID level 0 and RAID level 3.

(Raid level 3 and Raid level 4 differs in the size of each drive.) This uses byte striping with parity merged with block striping.

RAID can involve significant computation when reading and writing information. With traditional "real" RAID hardware, a separate controller does this computation. In other cases the operating system or simpler and less expensive controllers require the host computer's processor to do the computing, which reduces the computer's performance on processor-intensive tasks (see "Software RAID" and "Fake RAID" below). Simpler RAID controllers may provide only levels 0 and 1, which require less processing.

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 AM

Even i am also looking for this information.Thanks soo much Gracey for asking such a nice question.But special thanks to Alexandre for providing such a very important information in details.Thanks so much once again.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:28 PM

You are welcome)
Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Hey Gracey
I have heard that RAID 10 is good one. But have no idea about its cost. Even I am trying to find it.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Got it. It sounds around $14000. But it seems to trust wortyh.

Look at it options,

http://www.yonahruss.com/architectur...ce-and-ha.html