Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 09-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Google to build data centers in Asia

Google's building three new data centers in Asia, and they're going to spend at least $200 million! Specifically, they're building them in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore.

The article is really interesting:
Quote:
The data center expansion also reflects the growing popularity of cloud-based computing, in which users access word processing, spreadsheet and other programs over the Internet instead of keeping them on their own machines.

The expansion also reflects heavy demand in Asia for online entertainment. Thais, for example, most often search online for music and videos while South Koreans frequently use their phones to upload videos to YouTube, according to Google data, Meadows said.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...ers/50601694/1
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 PM

All of those jobs going overseas. Man.....
Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedicatedNow View Post
All of those jobs going overseas. Man.....
Seriously, there is something wrong with these big companies that insist on taking stuff overseas when they could build the same thing in the U.S.A. and help out the ailing economy!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Maclean View Post
Seriously, there is something wrong with these big companies that insist on taking stuff overseas when they could build the same thing in the U.S.A. and help out the ailing economy!
I do wonder what the benefit of hosting your data centers overseas is, especially since Singapore isn't all that cheap anyway. I guess they can hire workers for less money than if they built the data centers over here?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali View Post
I do wonder what the benefit of hosting your data centers overseas is, especially since Singapore isn't all that cheap anyway. I guess they can hire workers for less money than if they built the data centers over here?
I wonder if the equipment ends up costing less, and the building itself may have fewer hoops through which to jump - and probably a good bit less red tape to cut through to get it going.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 AM

My guess is that it's not so much the equipment as it is the labor force. They have an exceptional work ethic in Asia. For less money you can hire workers that will work for more hours, at least that has been my experience with other companies I worked for and my dealings with our Asian counterparts.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1paket.com View Post
I have never dealt with Asian companies.
Are they trustworthy?
I'm wondering what kinds of answers you expect to get from a question like that.

Ken
Old 10-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I'm wondering what kinds of answers you expect to get from a question like that.

Ken
They are as honest as any Wall St company.

PS: Ken, you could turn this into a competition
Old 10-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte72 View Post
My guess is that it's not so much the equipment as it is the labor force. They have an exceptional work ethic in Asia. For less money you can hire workers that will work for more hours, at least that has been my experience with other companies I worked for and my dealings with our Asian counterparts.
I agree that it is more about the labor force than the equipment. Maybe Asians also are their next target market. They are just trying to be closer to their target market.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Google is just jumping on the bandwagon. Right now, the Middle East is a hot spot for businesses. I am a little surprised about Hong Kong, though. But then again, business in Hong Kong has always been good.