Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Default Green data center management degree?

With all the talk about green data centers lately, I've been Googling around for more info. I found this article (from last year) about a university that's got a degree program for "green data center management." Kind of specific!

Quote:
Degree-seekers will use IBM hardware and software (thanks to a partnership with the company) in their quest to become green data center masters. That means plenty of hours logged in riveting classes like Virtualization, Remote Access, and Monitoring; Data Center Racks and Cabling; and Applied Data Center Management. The program culminates with an internship in the on-campus Information Technology Data Center, which is funded by $1.8 million Department of Labor grant.
http://www.dwhs.net/blog/2010/05/gre...ollege-degree/
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 AM

Sounds interesting. I wonder if anyone is requiring that degree yet. It seems like a lot of money and time to spend to specialize in such a small niche, to me, but to each his own.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:20 PM

Going green is big money these days and doesn't seem to be losing favor anytime soon. While it is a very specific niche, it is one that might be in demand more than we might think.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte72 View Post
Going green is big money these days and doesn't seem to be losing favor anytime soon. While it is a very specific niche, it is one that might be in demand more than we might think.
This is what I'm thinking. On the one hand, going green does seem kind of like a fad, especially since a lot of companies aren't that serious about it. But on the other hand, maybe it WILL be a really big deal in the future and so degrees like these will be needed!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali View Post
This is what I'm thinking. On the one hand, going green does seem kind of like a fad, especially since a lot of companies aren't that serious about it. But on the other hand, maybe it WILL be a really big deal in the future and so degrees like these will be needed!
I think that is true with any industry, really. If you can create a very specific niche for yourself, you can make yourself in very high demand because people who need your specific specialty will have limited options. The Government likes "green" right now, and rewards companies for going in that direction.