Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 11-30-2008, 12:44 AM

Default What data centers have you seen

I am curious to know what data centers you have seen, and some details about each one would be nice as well. Be sure to include, where they are located so that we can get a feel for each one.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Hello attagirl,

I have seen many datacenters and most of their basic stuctures are same, but different square feet, etc...............

Do you need specific information?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM

I have seen many data centers. And if we include co-lo facilities I have seen tons of them. Amazon.com, InfiNet, NeuStar, Peak-10, Equinix, AOL, and so on. But to be honest about giving out the details well I'm a bit weary publicizing the secure information of other companys.

The employees have to sign non-discloures and in Amazon's particular case (which I used to work for) they were trying to keep their data center's location non-public if you get what I mean. We have even confiscated cameras and film from people that try to take photos of the facility. It's just a common sense security measure.

In fact, when Amazon wanted to have a presence in an Equinix facility we were tossing around the idea of barcoding the hostnames so that someone couldn't practically read it from outside of the cage. That's how paranoid they are about what people know about their stuff. So just out of common professional courtesy I would never describe in detail what I know about most of these places. What I can tell you about Amazon and AOL is that they are huge. I won't give the exact number but we're talking about hundreds-of-thousands range of square feet. And that's just refering to one facility each where as Amazon has more than just that one data center.

Equinix on the other hand is in the business of offering co-lo solutions to other companies so they like to advertise what they have. The Equinix facility (located in Ashburn, VA.) is relatively nice and a good size. I don't know the exact size of the place but they house such businesses as Amazon, AOL, Google, and Yahoo (on top of other companies). I also believe they're a dark fiber distribution point and I think they're also a hub, but I'm not entirely clear about that. I just know that they're part of the national backbone somehow.

They have 24/7 security with personnel to monitor access and security cameras. There's a 4-step entry method before anyone can actually get into a cage. That doesn't include the registration process before you can even make it to the second mantrap stage. They do all overhead cabling and fairly effecient at the delivery. They do not offer smart hands as far as I know. The smart hands portion of their agreement only goes up to installing infrastructure for your particular need. If you need anything specific you have to submit a formal request and they match it up against a list of approved methods and vendors before allowing anything into their facility. Most times you take what they offer, if you need anything outside of that it has to go through an approval process.

All-in-all, it's a pretty decent place. Other then that I'm not sure what else you're asking for so try to be a little more specific.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 PM

What kind of specifics are you looking for, and it what area?
I visited almost all "commercial" datacenters in the Los Angeles area and the datacenter on hudson in NYC.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 PM

what area are you most interested in? I have been in a number of dcs on the east coast, in Canada and also the UK
Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 AM

I have also seen many data centers and including DCs in india, UK, NY and China. Most of them were big data centers and i want to know what kind of information you want about DCs.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Hello, we've colocated our servers with Natcoweb.com in North Bergen, NJ.
Had to schedule a few visits, so if you need details I'll gladly share them.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Hey, I am working in a data center in India, We offer various kinds of services from here for US guys over there..... What kinds of info are needed? Please let me know, I am ready to help you........ Cheers buddy......
Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Hello,
Caro.net is a real Data Center or one Customer "reseller" the Data Center?
I was interested in testing caro.ent but I was surprised the forum have almost no content caro.net
Caro have few customers?
Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to DrHays

I have seen a lot, though my fav ones have to be the Equinex facilities. Not because they operate any better than anyone else. Their facility just looks really nice. With the dark co-lo lit by blue lights along the pathways. Free arcade/working/eating areas... Fun stuff for a Co-lo