Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 AM

Default Local or distant?

Do you keep your data center on the premises, or do you let someone else keep the hardware for you in a different location? I'm currently using a commercial data center instead of having it on my premises.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM

I normally get colocation package from reputable datacenter and send my hardware, and they will configure in the Rack and provide the IP address. Once it's done, I can manage it. I have HP servers, so they configure ILO ip address as well and I can manage the servers using ILO.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM

it is always preferable to have a data center off the premise. In today's world, a lot of companies face physical threats. It is not advisable to centralize all the operation. In case of unforeseen circumstances, your services will not get affected.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM

Our data used to be kept on the premises, under lock and key. We now use a cloud-based server, and I couldn't be happier. I feel like it is much safer this way.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Maclean View Post
Do you keep your data center on the premises, or do you let someone else keep the hardware for you in a different location? I'm currently using a commercial data center instead of having it on my premises.
Same here. It is cheaper, easier, and more secure in our circumstances to keep servers off-location in a commercial datacenter. Unless you really have a need for keeping everything locally, I think it's generally better to let another datacenter take care of those details. Perhaps if you have very custom requirements, it might be necessary.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM

one cannot be bothered to go through the hassle of maintaining a data center in the office premises and run the business simultaneously. our data center was starting to get too noisy for an office environment and the needs were growing. so we decided to relocate our data center