Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Storage: Disk, RAID and NAS/SAN

Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to ServerDeals Send a message via MSN to ServerDeals Send a message via Yahoo to ServerDeals

I have seen some that use Flash Memory for the storage of a OS like ESXI to both maximize space available for VMs but to also help speed up ESXI processes. I have not personally utilized this but Flash memory still has its uses. It is also fast in comparison to a standard sata or ide. They are good if you are looking to save on small space processes otherwise their rewards become over priced. Like everything however you can never have too many fail safes.
GetIPAddresses.com - Skip waiting for registrar or broker allocations. Pricing on our site!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServerDeals View Post
I have seen some that use Flash Memory for the storage of a OS like ESXI to both maximize space available for VMs but to also help speed up ESXI processes. I have not personally utilized this but Flash memory still has its uses. It is also fast in comparison to a standard sata or ide. They are good if you are looking to save on small space processes otherwise their rewards become over priced. Like everything however you can never have too many fail safes.
We're nearing the point that only Flash/SSDs really make sense for primary storage. SATA drives are cheap, but slow, and will always be good for archived data, backups, and anything not accessed much, but SSDs are the king for any heavily accessed data, a must in many cases anymore.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:25 AM

Flash memory is great for temporary storage space and transport but everything of the storage space cells are subject to extended release over time. Modern SSD's are rated for less than a decade's worth of data preservation when the power is off. USB stays are worse off as SSD's tend to get all the top quality premium flash.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 AM

I use a lot of flash memory and have tons of USB sticks. The problem is that I have to search through all of them to try to find out where I put what.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 PM

I am also looking into setting up a new flash server in our data center. I first need to figure out if all the applications I want to run on this server will be compatible with flash or not.