Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Storage: Disk, RAID and NAS/SAN

Old 02-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Flash memory?

Are compact flash memory modules a feasible solution when it comes to storage? I have a friend that says that the latest technology in compact flash memory is incredibly fast and very, very reliable. Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Isn't in expensive?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

The new solid state drives are amazingly fast... but as with anything that’s quite new and at the top of it's game, it's also quite expensive.

You also have to ensure it works efficiently with your chosen application, else you could see a decrease in overall performance
Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Lots of things to take into consideration. But still, if you can test it with your own apps and it works fine, then I think it's worth investigating, at least, set up a test server and see how it performs.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oigen View Post
Are compact flash memory modules a feasible solution when it comes to storage? I have a friend that says that the latest technology in compact flash memory is incredibly fast and very, very reliable. Any ideas?
Yes flash memories are very advanced technology,its speed is very high and are really reliable. But only thing is that it a bit expensive. but once you paid you will not regret about what you did.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yes thats true, latest flash memory cards have massive storage capacity, manufacturers are even making cards of up to 137 GB. However this also poses a risk of losing huge amount of data if the card is damaged or lost.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM

I wouldn't backup all my information on a flash drive. They can break too easily and they aren't hard to crack in the wrong hands. Go checkout SeaGate's website, they have a few options for external hard drives that would work so much better and the speed is unmatched.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 PM

I used to use flash memory as a means to transport information. Now I save most data to "The Cloud". I only really use them to save music and pictures anymore.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Era of flash memory has gone long. They are not only risky but pretty much difficult to take care of it. I am an student and I lost my usb once which contain all my precious data. so recommend you to use cloud storage services as they are reliable and easy to use.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
They are not feasible any more. You have to take care of it, they are fragile once you lose it from you hand you will never be able to get your data. That is why i use cloud to backup and store data on cloud