Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 PM

Question Two PDUs. Device only has single power supply.

It appears my previous post was wiped out.

I have two PDUs. I have a Cisco switch which only has a single power input. How can I have this device switch between the PDUs when power is not available on one? Y connector? What cool trick is available for such a scenario?

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Administrator

A simple way to provide power failover in case of a circuit failure for one or several single-corded devices is an automatic transfer switch. This is like a power strip with two inputs. Normally, power is fed from one feed and if that feed is interrupted, the device switches to the alternate feed quickly enough that the connected equipment continues to run. These are available from several manufacturers and here is one example http://www.pulizzi.com/Products/index.html?FeatureID=5. Obviously, this is no help in case of a power supply failure...

Ken
Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Alternatively as it's Cisco, you can power it via an RPS.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumie View Post
Alternatively as it's Cisco, you can power it via an RPS.
That's what we call a uni-tasker.

Ken
Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Thank you guys! This information will give me something to think about.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
That's what we call a uni-tasker.
I must say that I totally agree. It is quite the waste of space to only provide DC power output to other cisco routers via a propriatary connector. I believe a Cisco RPC retails at around $800.

APC makes a 20a 120v Automagic transfer switch that has 8 outlets for connecting any device that has a standard NEMA 5-15R plug. It plugs in to any standard NEMA 5-15P outlet (such as one on a 20a PDU). It's list price on the APC site is $699.

I used an ATS in one of my recent builds for all of our devices that have single power supplies only (including servers).

You can find others, APC comes to mind when I think of power (I am a fan).

Good Luck!

--Keith
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 PM

Exactly. The more I looked the more a cheaper automatic transfer switch seemed to be the way to go. With the Cisco RPS not only does it take 2Us but I would need to purchase the DC cables as well and it seems like a waste of power to go from DC to AC and back to DC again. On the plus side there are RPSs on eBay for dirt cheap.

This is what I am thinking about going with:
Newegg.com - TRIPP LITE PDUMH15AT 12 Feet 8 Outlets Power Distribution Unit with dual-input Auto Transfer Switching - Surge Suppressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I must say that I totally agree. It is quite the waste of space to only provide DC power output to other cisco routers via a propriatary connector. I believe a Cisco RPC retails at around $800.

APC makes a 20a 120v Automagic transfer switch that has 8 outlets for connecting any device that has a standard NEMA 5-15R plug. It plugs in to any standard NEMA 5-15P outlet (such as one on a 20a PDU). It's list price on the APC site is $699.

I used an ATS in one of my recent builds for all of our devices that have single power supplies only (including servers).

You can find others, APC comes to mind when I think of power (I am a fan).

Good Luck!

--Keith
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 AM

I also recommend the Tripp-Lite ATS. SNMP Manageable and very cost effective. I have used these in several different deployments and can say that they work very well.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Thank you Phantom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomNOC View Post
I also recommend the Tripp-Lite ATS. SNMP Manageable and very cost effective. I have used these in several different deployments and can say that they work very well.