Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 PM

Default Data Center Power issues

I am looking for some feedback on what each of you are doing for connectivity and redundancy in your data centers specific to dual power supplies and connectivity to UPS. We have been trying to achieve a form of redundancy by connecting our dual power supplies through separate paths of travel of PDU to UPS (UPS fully redundant distribution). However, our current power constraints to the building are limiting our ability to grow our UPS units and our ability to add additional equipment due to the requirement of keeping our UPS loads at the 50% mark. I am curious to know if you are choosing to connect your servers and equipment with UPS fully redundant distribution in place or are you simply connecting the dual power supplies to the same UPS allowing the UPS threshold to maximize at the 80% mark.

I appreciate any feedback you may have on what each of you are doing. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the forums. If I understand your description, you are running into difficulty trying to scale up your 2N UPS architecture. I would suggest pooling your UPS units in an N+1 architecture instead. This way you will be able to maintain redundancy for single unit failures while freeing the other half of your total capacity. To do this, your current UPS units (or the ones you replace them with) will need to support parallel operation. Here's a more complete description of this strategy from the folks at Eaton, but most manufacturers offer UPS units that can be connected this way. http://pqlit.eaton.com/ll_download_b...p?doc_id=10925.

A word of caution: there is no industry standard for UPS synchronizing protocols, so each manufacturer has its own proprietary solution that is not compatible with other brands of equipment.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Last edited by KenB; 09-27-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:04 AM

Default Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Data center power issue brings negative impacts on the normal works of a data center. This is why, while building a data center, it is highly required to keep a backup power so that the data center does not face power issues. The services offered by this organization are quite notable regarding this aspect. If you decide to take their services, you will surely get satisfactory assistance for the same.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM

The data center power issue is a very common problem in these days. If one wants to avail service to resolve the power issue of a data center, he/she must consider taking their services of any reputable data center expert. The organizations, wherefrom, satisfactory service regarding this can be availed are found all around the world. The handiwork for resolving power issues, provided by the data center experts of this organization, is quite notable. I took their services for resolving the power issue of data center and really became highly satisfied with their services.