Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 09-01-2008, 05:23 AM

Default Good tool, bad tool

I'm new at networking and I want to start making my own network wires/cables for my office. I ordered this crimping tool from www.lducompany.com (crimper should be here in a few days) and I wanted to learn if there are any other kinds of network cat5 wire crimping tools out there that would work better? http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/459901.htm is the location for the crimp plires on thier website, those are the ones that I bought. Funny that it says Germany on the handle of the plires but I would gues they are made in China since the company I bought them from is in China. If you know of a name of a certin cat 5 wire crimper that would be better for me to use then please post it here. Thank you
Old 09-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hi, and welcome to the forums. The crimper you have ordered may work just fine. If you find it lacking, people have good things to say about this one: http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001762.php.

Ken
Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Ken,
The one you posted is a great tool, when purchased with the proper connectors. The tool is really just an average tool if you use standard RJ-45 connectors. If you use their connectors, the cutter on the end can be very nice.

The only problem that I had with this tool is that the blade eventually wears out and stops cutting all the way. I think I went through 2 or 3 within a year. Oh and the connectors are kind of expensive too.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Interesting that you want to make your own. Is there a particular reason why it is easier for you to make your own then to buy they. I do realize that often times they can be pricey, but curious in knowing the other benefits of making them your self.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

One reason to make your own cables is that you can make them exactly the length you want. A growing problem with high density cabling is management of slack loops.

Ken
Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 PM

Another reason is sometimes it's faster to just place a new termination on the end rather than running a whole new cable. I custom terminate basically everything from copper, coax, to fiber in my data center. It helps to create a cleaner looking environment because you won't have spaghetti slack loop every where, and because of our topology a horizontal run can be as long as 280'.

If a cable fails sometimes it's because of a faulty termination and it's easier to just spend 5 minutes terminating new ends, and certifying the cable using a cable certifier, rather than spending what could be hours to run a whole new cable.

Oh, and might I add it's more cost efficient. It's cheaper when you do them in bulk. I probably save about 30% in cable cost when I take the time to terminate my own bulk pulls. The total saves is about 15% once I factor out man hours.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Oh, one of my favourite topics!!

Heres what I think about custom cables vs. premade cables.

I am a firm believer in cable management; as discussed so many times in my threads. I believe in making cables that fit like a glove. While it totally makes sense to do bulk cabling manually, I sometimes feel that it can be more beneficial, time wise, to use a premade cable that is sized properly for one or two off installs. Obviously, you cannot always expect a cable to always fit like a glove, but sometimes I do get lucky. I just cabled a rack a little bit ago where we only had premade cables available but the cables actually happened to fit like a glove going in to the patch panel.

That being said, I do not prefer using premade cabling in horizontal runs that go through a tray between cabinets. I will only ever consider using a premade cable where it is from server to switch that is located in a cabinet or server to patch panel that is located in a cabinet.

Also, for some reason, the wire that they use inside of a premade cable is close to impossible to reterimate! It takes me more time trying to customize a premade cable than it does to make a new one. I also do not believe in using super cheap premade cables. I prefer stiffer cables when cabling a rack. That is primarily so that the cable does not sag when it comes from the side of the cabinet to the NIC on the servers. 90 degree angles with a proper bend is the only way to go for me!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 PM

I agree 100% with everything you said especially about the firmness of the cables. I can't stand the copper that's not firm because they are tougher to reterminate. I generally prefer solid core over stranded copper for this very reason.

And it is easier to order premades for bulk pulls, but I find myself terminating the ends anyway to length because excess creates more problems than anything else. I do generally leave about 1' foot of slack and create a slack loop somewhere under the floor in case there's a moment where I need a little extra because we can reuse that cable for a nearby system if needed.