Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-02-2005, 10:36 PM
integrahost

Question Differences in class a and class b

What makes a Class A data center, or a Class B? I sawsomeon say they had a class A datacenter.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

In my experience data centers are usually measured in Tiers. (Tier I - Tier IV) This system of tiers is based on the data center's amount of infrastructure redundancy. Tier I data centers have the least and Tier IV has the most. There is a terrific white paper by the Uptime Institute that explains the whole system. A Google search for Uptime Institute should turn up their website pretty quickly.
The tiers correspond to a percentage of availability. A Tier I data center may have 99% availability. In other words, the center is "up" 99% of the time. 99% sounds pretty good until you realize that 1% of a year is almost 4 days. A Tier IV data center might have 99.999% uptime. (Also called "five 9s" of reliability.)
To further complicate matters, data center tier, avaialbility and uptime also correspond to level of equipment redunacy. Equipment redunacy is designated in number of 'n's. In this case 'n' is a variable standing for capacity. For example, if you need 100kw of power to run all your equipment and you have two 50kw UPS, you have 1n of power. The same can be said of cooling. If you have the same power requirement and have three 50kw UPS you have 1n+1. If you have four 50kw UPS, you have 2n or power. There are some requirements regarding how those UPS are connected but I think you get the point.
Anyway, I've never heard of an A level data center. Some commercial real estate agents define office buildings as Class A or Class B buildings. Maybe that's it?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:22 PM
diaconsultoria

like & who grants Class A o Class B, Tier I-Tuer IV level to Datacenter
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

dia,
Class A and B are not really the sort of thing that are "granted". Class A space and class B space are real estate terms that are primarily based on the location and amenities available in the building. Incidentally, you really wouldn't want to have a data center in a class A space. Class A space is way too expensive for that application. Think about the law offices of the biggest law firm in your town. That's Class A space.
Tiers are also not really the sort of thing that is "granted". The Tiers represent design criteria. Tier IV data centers are designed that way by the engineering team that drew up the plans.
That said, there are many consultants, engineers and organizations that (for a fee) will evaluate your data center and tell you precicely what Tier you are. In addition, these same folks will make recommendations that could potentially raise your data center to the next Tier. I may be able to recommend such an organization. Where is your data center?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
diaconsultoria

Gallant,

Gracias por su información.

Yo entiendo el concepto que usted establece.

EL Datacenter está en Bogotá, COlombia, South America.

Mi cliente (propietario) me solicita la clasificación y por eso estoy investigando como se clasifican los datacenter.

Si tiene alguna información adicional al respecto le agradezco me la envíe.

Thanks for its information. I understand the concept that you settle down. The Datacenter is in Bogota, COlombia, South America. My client (proprietor) asks for the classification to me and for that reason I am investigating as datacenter are classified. If it has some additional information on the matter I am thankful to him is sent it. Greeting

Sorry, I don´´t speak good english

GGB
Old 11-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Banned

Your English is much better than my Spanish. Good luck and keep us posted.