Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Rack power

I am planning to design a data center. Currently i am deciding how to distribute power within the racks.

Can anyone from there experience tell me how much power in WATTS should be ideal for one rack.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Thumbs down

Probably not with that little information.

Ken
Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM

We are in the planning fase for our new datacenter and we go for 7kW per rack max and 4kW average.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb View Post
I am planning to design a data center. Currently i am deciding how to distribute power within the racks.

Can anyone from there experience tell me how much power in WATTS should be ideal for one rack.
Just to start of you could supply some of the following information:
What is the majority equipment being installed e.g. Network, Storage and Servers, this will affect the maximum and average rack loading.
The type of servers are they e.g. pizza boxes, blades, tower or just the standard 2/4 RU rack mount units?
What type of storage is being deployed e.g. standalone storage racks or RU storage shelves in the server racks?
Are you planning to fill the racks with IT equipment (80% utilized or more) or are you planning to leave lots of empty space in each rack?
Is the data center planned to be used for a single purpose or is it multi purpose e.g.
  • email
  • Small Corporate file and email
  • Large Corporate file, ERP and email
  • Enterprise Corporate file, Cloud Computing, ERP and email
  • Co-location or Hosting
The purpose of the data center is very critical to how much load the data center will be expected to draw.
What is the total size (in standard racks) of the data center?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to DrHays

Like everyone is saying in here you need to plan according to what you are gonna be implementing in facility.

At a very minimum I would say about 200 watts per cab, and that is low. With avg rack densities and device's power needs these days you need to consider going higher then even that.

If you already know what is going in the rack or can get information on a particular device that would dominate your racks, you can get their general power information (amps & voltage) and use this Amps to Watts Calculator made for data center related devices
Old 12-04-2009, 06:02 AM

Typically, 3kw per square feet
High density - 7 to 9kw per square feet

But of course, alot of factors contribute also!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilers View Post
Typically, 3kw per square feet
High density - 7 to 9kw per square feet

But of course, alot of factors contribute also!
When you say Watts per Square foot is that for the entire equipment floor space or the space used by a rack? There are a lot of methods of calculating DC/Rack power so it would help readers if you could please explain how the figure is derived.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
When you say Watts per Square foot is that for the entire equipment floor space or the space used by a rack? There are a lot of methods of calculating DC/Rack power so it would help readers if you could please explain how the figure is derived.

Its a general rule of thumb for Data Centre design specified by TIA-942 standard. That will be for entire DC area designed. Out of lots of methods of calculating power, you cant go wrong with this method unless of course u know exactly what u need.

And like i said, other factors contribute such as types/size of server, design of DC and more..u definitely dont wanna put in blade servers in a 3kw per square foot designed DC and vice versa.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM

The reallly important question to ask to find your answer is how much cooling you have and with the max airflow to that area how many watts of power can you cool.

This will depend greatly on the ammount of cooling you have and the volume that the air can be delivered to the area that the rack will be in.