Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Default overhead cabling

hello,

how does overhead cabling help in efficient power usage in a data center? why are they preferred over underground cabling?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Well it is usually because everyone uses raised floors for cooling. When you have a massive wad of cables under your floor blocking airflow then you will have cooling problems(I know from experience). That will lead to the need for cooler cooling or bigger fans for more airflow.

I also feel it is easier and faster to find/run cables when on a ladder than under floor tiles. This will lead to faster work/repair when needed. That part is a little harder to quantify monetarily.

Hope this helps,
OBXandos
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Administrator

OBXandos,

Do you guys use overhead cabling or underground cabling ?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 PM

Currently we mostly have our power and data cables under the floor. Whenever I have to run new data cables though I am putting them over the racks. I want to avoid creating more incidents like this...

We have several spots that have about 85% airflow blockage under our floor. I am trying to move as much stuff above our racks as possible.

I can't stress enough how important proper airflow is in a datacenter!

OBXandos
Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM

but dont you think that fault rectification is more difficult with overhead cabling? you will need stools and ladders to help you reach the cables. aren't you increasing the risk for your staff?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 PM

There is always risk when working in a data center. Yes you will most likely require ladders and other equipment like that. As for increasing the risk possibly. While working under a floor you could always hurt yourself on something you can't see like an exposed power cable, or a sharp edge. You could also think you have the right cable in your hand when you do not.

I feel the biggest difference is with underfloor cabling you can't always see what your working on/around. With above rack cabling you can now fall off of ladders and such. As a general rule I trust peoples balance over their inability to see.

And lastly in my datacenter I have me and one other person that performs work, so I feel confident that we are being safe while doing our jobs.

OBXandos
Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM

how about the cost of overhead cabling? in case i want to shift from undergrond cabling to overhead (which im planning to, as the space under the raised floors is starting to look like an unkempt vineyard) what is the initial investment goin to charge me, approximately?